How many eggs should ex battery hens lay?

Nenad

Songster
May 4, 2021
Serbia, Bačka Palanka
My first 4(now 3) ex battery hens were at my place from 12th january(and layed for first week), only one started to lay today and other 2 aren't even close because pelvic bones are hard and close together. I got 4 new ex battery hen 3 days ago and they are laying. First ex battery ones layed for around 7 days and then stopped. Now Im worrying that these new 4 will stop and not lay. Do all ex battery stop laying when you get them? How many eggs do they still lay(weekly). Also my first ones took 4 months to continue laying and I can't wait for these 4 to stop and not lay for 3-4 months.

My first 4(now 3) ex battery hens were at my place from 12th january(and layed for first week), only one started to lay today and other 2 aren't even close because pelvic bones are hard and close together. I got 4 new ex battery hen 3 days ago and they are laying. First ex battery ones layed for around 7 days and then stopped. Now Im worrying that these new 4 will stop and not lay. Do all ex battery stop laying when you get them? How many eggs do they still lay(weekly). Also my first ones took 4 months to continue laying and I can't wait for these 4 to stop and not lay for 3-4 months.
Jh to Nenad - My guess is that your ex-battery hens are spent production birds. They are bred to lay like crazy for a certain period of time. Then, they are are sold to you or others or sent to processing plants were they end up in soups, pot pies and chinese cuisine.

Chickens do not handle change very well and it could take your birds weeks to months to start laying again.
You also have to remember that chickens stop laying when they are molting and in extremely hot weather or extremely cold weather. My new chickens didn't lay because they were new. Then, they molted. Then winter hit. I didn't get eggs for months.

You also have to remember that chickens stop laying when they are molting and in extremely hot weather or extremely cold weather. My new chickens didn't lay because they were new. Then, they molted. Then winter hit. I didn't get eggs for months.
Yup, they layed good then after molt, one started laying again and 2 are in molt still. They lay pretty good.

Back
Top Bottom