How many eggs should three hens lay a week?

Silkievirginia

Chirping
Oct 30, 2023
I am new to chickens but I thought it was one egg a day? I have five chickens- one is absolutely my rooster, three are silkie mix hens (satins) the last I thought was a hen but other people think it is a rooster. I get 4-6 eggs every day so 30- 36 eggs a week. It is never less than four eggs so I am assuming the fourth is a hen. Is this normal? How often does a hen lay more than one egg? I can’t keep up because it is 10-12 dozen eggs every month. What to do with the eggs? So many eggs … it is February shouldn’t they slow down?

How old are your hens? Some younger birds will lay through winter. As for double eggs in a day, that's not very common. Do you have supplemental lighting? Are you sure that they aren't eggs from a previous day?

As for what to do with extra eggs, I'm sure any family/friends/neighbors will happily take them, unless you wish to sell them.

They are 8 months old now. This has started ever since they all started laying about two months ago so there are always 4-6 eggs every day. If I miss collecting when I get home, there is a whole nest full the next day by noon. They have no extra light - I have their coop inside a porch room to keep them from the cold and any ice / snow for the winter - it has sliding doors to let them outside to a run. Will they slow down eventually?

They are 8 months old now. This has started ever since they all started laying about two months ago so there are always 4-6 eggs every day. If I miss collecting when I get home, there is a whole nest full the next day by noon. They have no extra light - I have their coop inside a porch room to keep them from the cold and any ice / snow for the winter - it has sliding doors to let them outside to a run. Will they slow down eventually?
Yeah, they will eventually. They're still pretty young and will probably lay good for another year or two. Silkies aren't known for being great layers though, and with their broody tendencies, I'll be surprised if you don't get any dry spouts.

Back
Top Bottom