How many eggs to expect on average?

fiddlebanshee

Songster
10 Years
Mar 11, 2010
Frederick, MD
I have a mixed flock of 3 Light Brahma's, 3 Welsumers, 3 Dominiques, 3 Australorps and 2 GLWs. THey are about 7 months old. I'm getting between 9-11 eggs a day, they've started laying about a month ago.

So in planning how many people I can on average supply with eggs, how many eggs, in your experience, can I expect from this lot per day? Is the 9-11 eggs about all that'll be it. I have the feeling that two of the welsumers have not started laying for real yet, as I am getting only 1 darker egg a day for a few days.

What's your guess? I have way more demand than I can possible service with this lot and I don't want to add chickens at this point, so I have to say no to some customers.

on an average,,,not a rule jus a percentage lol,, hens lay 3 days then 2 days off, so would work out 4 to 5 eggs a week per hen. but things can change that. hen gets scared from a predator n maybe wont lay for 3 or 4 days after, sunlight change as in hours of light may change them, hen being moved down the pecking order, food change, many things, to be safe i would say 3 a week per hen

Different breeds have different production rates, and different individuals vary even more.
According to my research, Brahamas and Domiques will only lay about three eggs a week on average, Wellsumers and Wyandottes will lay about 4 a week, and Australorps up to five a week. I have a SLW and an Australorp, and that's about right.
That gives you, on average, 53 eggs a week, or 7.5 eggs a day. You are getting well over that amount, so congratulations!
Remember, these are just guidelines, with different breeder's lines and different individuals laying differing amounts. Also keep in mind that your hens will be at their most productive for the first year or two, and will then slow down and eventually stop.

Thanks. I was thinking that I was getting more than I technically "should". Looks like I have myself some overachievers. I'll have to either double my flock or disappoint half the customers.

Anyone wanna come over and build me another coop?

Back
Top Bottom