How Many Eggs Did You Get Today?

Oh. Five eggs today. Eight yesterday. I have 18 hens but some are definitely past their prime. Twelve should be laying. Five BL and 7 EE, just coming a year old. Three BO, coming three years old this spring, and I have gotten as many as two brown eggs in the last week or so, so I know their little engines are starting to fire up!

I got 18 eggs today!!
We will see what I get tomorrow.. I'm sure they were all mad at me today. I didn't let them out before I left for work because it was still dark and they didn't get to go out when I got home because it was already dark again! :lau I think I may let out the big coop before I leave for work tomorrow morning. The small coop has a small attached "run" ( I think of it more as a sun room :lau) so I don't feel as bad for them. They can still be "outside" while still being locked up. The big coop doesn't have that feature, so when they are lock up they are still inside the building.
Usually my hubby would let them out for me but he went out of town Friday and won't be back until sometime tomorrow evening. He did let the chickens out on Friday before he left, so they have only had 1 day of confinement.

My daughter said she was a little sore today but not too bad. So that's good!!
Good night.:frow

13 eggs for me today! But what a night I have had! Work was great. The roads were no big deal, even though they canceled school today. :idunno
But on my drive home, one of my son's was calling. When I pulled into the driveway I checked to see what he needed. He was calling me to tell me he thought he needed to go to the hospital! When I called him back, he said he was at the junk yard and had cut his hand pretty good. He had managed to get the bleeding to stop finally so he wasn't sure if he needed to go or not. ( he did end up going and he got 3 stitches in 1 finger).
About 5 minutes after I hang up with him, my daughter calls and she is crying so much that I can't tell what is going on!! Turns out she had been in a car accident. The other person pulled out in front of her from a stop sign. She tried to swerve, but the hit her dead center in the hood. Both of her airbags deployed, her windshield is shattered all the way across the whole thing and the front of the car is V'd in pretty good. The ambulance was on sight but left after checking her out. The other person didn't appear to be hurt at all. My daughter is just banged up. She had blood down her chin ( i'm pretty sure she bit her lip) and her knee, forehead and back all hurt. But still relatively unhurt. Definitely shook up!! This is her first major accident. She did hit a baby deer a couple of years ago, but her car wasn't even damaged then.
The other person does appear to have insurance, so that;s good! I will be surprised if they don't total my car ( it's mine, but my daughter has been driving it for several years). It's a 2003. So I'm not sure how much she'll get for it. :idunnoWe just had liability on it, so it will be up to the other guys insurance. Hopefully, she'll get something, since he was at fault and she will ( more than likely) have to replace "her" vehicle.
So, even though I try to get to bed by 8 PM when I have to work, I just got home at 8 PM.
:lau But I've eaten dinner and collected eggs & locked up chickens. So I guess I'll head to bed instead of doing anything around the house. :lau

So glad it wasn't any worse than it was!! Plus, she had just swapped her boyfriend's son back over to him, so he wasn't in the car with her!
So glad everyone is okay over there! I hope your daughter feels better and wasn’t too shaken up. :hugs

I’ve been marking my eggs down daily in a little pocket book I bought. It’s been really nice having that available so I can see what kind of schedule the girls are on. It seems like I’ve been getting a few days of 6-8 eggs and then they teeter off into 3-4 for a day or so depending.

But it seems that whenever they get locked up in the coop because of weather one of the Silkie crosses always tries to go broody on me and you know when one starts they all tend to start. Came into the coop last night to see this
4EE8368F-9933-4145-BF8A-383D3BD91D79.jpeg

...these lovely four ladies are NOT attempting to lay eggs for me a little late, no they just yell at anyone trying to get into the boxes, hens and humans alike:rant
4 eggs yesterday, so I’m imagining one of them still laid as there was only 1 blue egg.. might be the frizzle she’s the newest and had an egg under her last night. Which was surprisingly white looking, been a while since I’ve gotten a “white” egg.

I've been at 1/day out of 7 hens since the weather turned cold. I think we've had a random 2nd one pop up a few times. Doesn't seem to matter if they get out and roam a lot or not. Seems to be one leghorn that is still on the job.

Oh those trusty Leghorns!

Back
Top Bottom