1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How many fingers have you lost?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Schwartzfarmnc, Sep 21, 2011.

1. Schwartzfarmnc

Schwartzfarmnc Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    West Jefferson
    I was attacked by 14 beaks of terror yesterday attempting to feed the girls mustard greens and by the end of the feeding frenzy I had to squeamishly look down and make sure I still had all 10 fingers. I never knew how fast and furious chickens will eat mustard greens and stems, I had a flash back to the old Hitchcock movie "the birds". As I stood their like a scarecrow with birds on my arms on my head and several jumping up like a dog begging for treats it dawned on me that I was in trouble and if I made it through this I needed a different approach, so next time I'm going in fully protected with gear like an umpire. So how many fingers have lost or almost lost while feeding your birds and what did you feed them???

Mustard greens and Kale are definitely on the approved list!

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Maybe you could throw it over the fence

3. Schwartzfarmnc

May 28, 2010
    West Jefferson
    Quote:Where would the adventure be in that? I live on the edge!! [​IMG]
    I could do that, but we enjoy feeding by hand most of the time, this time though was much more attack like than most.

4. Lofty bok bok

Lofty bok bok Out Of The Brooder

Sep 19, 2011
    My wife has a small mole on her neck she almost lost one time due to a hungry chicken. [​IMG]

5. TheSpiceGirls

TheSpiceGirls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    Yep, this sounds about right. I only have three and have been rolled by the three to get to their favorite treats.

I won't dare let the neighbors little boys hold out food for my hens. They'd loose their whole hand to the hens.

6. gmendoza

gmendoza Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Rock Hill,SC
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG] That will learn ya. By the way what would dressing like a vampire do for your chickens?...oh wait..my bad..umpire ha! [​IMG]

7. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    Most mornings
    I sit with coffee and feed treat / breakfast with the girls and I have learned to remove my rings because they pick at the band and get aggressive enough that it hurts. I tell my grand baby just go right over ther and get em they do not bite.!! Wow what a lie I tell her.

Steve

8. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Where do you find mustard greens? Are they just at the grocery store? I've gotta try that! I'm a thrill seeker.....[​IMG]

9. Schwartzfarmnc

May 28, 2010
    West Jefferson
    Quote:Yes, I get mine either at the farmers market or at Harris Teeter, normally they are under $1 per pound and the girls just love them.

Another thrill seeker! I love it! BEWARE of the beaks! [​IMG]

10. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Quote:There easy to grow & are cold hardy. I love greens & cornbread.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by