How many Hens can a Cockerel Manage?

Homie Ducks

Chirping
5 Years
Jul 30, 2014
Pakistan
Hi I have a Cockerel He's going to mature soon . I don't have any hens now But I am planning to bring some, So how many hens should I keep with one Cockerel
4 or 5 ?
Can any one guide me .

Last edited:
More than that. If you want all the eggs to be fertile, 8 is generally the max recommended. If you don't care about them being fertile, than 20, 30, I don't think there is an upper limit.

The general recommendation is 10 gals to one rooster. My rooster manages 15-16 very nicely, and all the eggs are fertile. If you have too few hens, he's apt to overbreed them, causing feather damage and bare backs, possibly injury.

I have read 8 hens to 1 rooster if your wanting fertilized eggs. I wouldn't go more than 15 if your wanting any benefit (protection etc).

Hi I have a Cockerel He's going to mature soon . I don't have any hens now But I am planning to bring some, So how many hens should I keep with one Cockerel
4 or 5 ?
Can any one guide me .
Depends on your goals.....why do you want a rooster?

Also can depend on the space available and the temperament of the rooster.

Will 5 hens be better because it will become difficult for me to handle the flock.
5 should be fine! Really some roosters can be kept with a single hen and cause no problems, it just depends on how aggressive the rooster is. I'd recommend no less than 3!

Back
Top Bottom