How many hens can we keep in our new coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Tuli2007, Jun 14, 2007.

1. Tuli2007

Tuli2007 Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2007
    We are almost don with our garage coop. The coop is about 3 ft x 7 ft,, and 3 ft high (+6 inches off the ground). The run (on the outside of the garage, accessible through a framed opening) will be 6x6. How many larger hardy-type hens could be kept under this arrangement? I keep reading conflicting things. We plan to start with 4, probably to Plymouth Rock and 2 Buff Orpington pullets.
    Thanks! I'm so excited to get our hens I'm having chicken dreams...

2. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

I'm thinking 5. 6 at the most.

3X7=21/4ft per chicken=5.25--I'd think you could add one more if you weren't using insulation for extra body heat.

3. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

I would say 5......that way...if and WHEN the buff orp decides to go broody, you could get some fertilized eggs and put them under her. Nothing cuter than a momma with babies!

4. 4myHennyPenny

4myHennyPenny Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Colorado
    Will they be able to free range at all? If not, I would say 4 would be best, 5 might be pushing it. Based on what I've read so far (and what other posters on this site have told me), you should calculate for 4 sq ft of coop space and 10 sq ft of run space per standard hen, particularly if they will not have regular free range time. So, while you have enough coop space for 5 hens, the run space would be small for them.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2007
  5. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I think you'll be really happy with how it works out for you with 4. The coop won't be such a poopy mess and they'll have a better amount of run space.

Those are really nice breeds that you're looking at. Congratulations on finishing up your coop and getting your girls!

6. tiffanyh

tiffanyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    IMHO, If you have a run attached that they can access daily, I would say you can have more than 5 or 6, although not everyone will agree with this. You just have to add a couple at a time and make sure they dont get upset or start feather plucking. I have seen many more than 1 bird/4sq ft live very happy. It seems that some count the run area and coop as their sq. footage. So 6x6...36ft/4=9

Besides, if your that worried about it, you obviously arent going to pack so many in that it harms your chickens.

Enjoy

Last edited: Jun 15, 2007
  7. suburbanhomesteader

suburbanhomesteader Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I'd like to recommend that if you get .6 of a chicken, it would be best to get the front end, so you don't have to deal with the extra droppings...

[​IMG]

8. BirdBrain

BirdBrain Prefers Frozen Tail Feathers

May 7, 2007
    Alaska
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    Actually I would recommend the other end. Save on food and get eggs.

10. Tuli2007

Tuli2007 Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2007
    Thank you for your replies - the funny and the serious ones! I guess our henhouse is a decent size, but the run isn't terribly big - which is OK, because we can make the run a bit bigger next year if need be. I'm going to try and take and post pictures tomorrow if I can. I think we're about a week from going to the feed store and getting our pullets!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by