How many hens do you see out of these fifteen chicks?

Here’s a baby girl I rescued (she had pasty butt) from a feed store a few months back. She has lighter feathers and is poorer quality than yours in terms of appearance, and she could be pure 15 generations back. She still is, in the grand scheme of things, worse quality than yours.
My baby Amber.View attachment 2738121
Amber is still beautiful! Glad you could rescue her. :love

We bought the rooster at a feed store. My mom fell in love with the single comb. That's one reason I questioned what he was.

The mom RIR came from a friend who bought her at a hatchery or breeder so I didn't question her.

We bought the rooster at a feed store. My mom fell in love with the single comb. That's one reason I questioned what he was.

The mom RIR came from a friend who bought her at a hatchery or breeder so I didn't question her.
Huh, then idk. Sometimes you can get mutts at feed stores, but normally they’re pure and low quality, or are deliberate designer crosses.

I would guess your too has some rose-comb genes in him, and that’s why rose combs pop up. Did you say the GLW has a single comb?
Makes sense. 🙂

Actually, the GLW doesn't have a single comb, she has a rose comb, which is why I was surprised. (Here she is, her name is Amber... my friend named her, she had the name when I got her. 🤣) I've seen photos on here of black-laced red Wyandottes, and I've been questioning if Amber is actually one of those and not a GLW. But whatever the case, she has a single comb. (Also, she is blind, so if her eyes look like they are a little glazed over, it's because they are.)

IMG_3244.JPG

Huh, then idk. Sometimes you can get mutts at feed stores, but normally they’re pure and low quality, or are deliberate designer crosses.
Our feed store has cages outside where you can find adult birds, rabbits, turkeys, and anything else people have sold them. I sold them three of my RIR + SLW sex link roosters last year, full-grown. That's how we got Wild Thang. Someone brought him in, and he was already almost mature.

Our feed store does have the chicks too, but I meant to specify that Wild Thang was one of the ones that someone sold them and I don't know if those people hatched him or bought him from a feed store, raised him, and sold him back to the feed store.

Amber appreciates your compliments. :D

I rescued her and three other sick babies, all with pasty butt. I fixed them up ;it was recurring, and they were weak, so it was almost a week before it went away.) and gave them probably the most royal care baby chicks have ever gotten. I was up at 11 some nights, making egg yolk/nutridrench/sugar “potions” that were super beneficial and they loved.
None of them live with me anymore, because I’ve already hit my stupid city person “chicken limit” but they were so much fun to save and raise. They have a thread, here.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...growth-thread-gender-guesses-welcome.1458087/

Makes sense. 🙂

Actually, the GLW doesn't have a single comb, she has a rose comb, which is why I was surprised. (Here she is, her name is Amber... my friend named her, she had the name when I got her. 🤣) I've seen photos on here of black-laced red Wyandottes, and I've been questioning if Amber is actually one of those and not a GLW. But whatever the case, she has a single comb. (Also, she is blind, so if her eyes look like they are a little glazed over, it's because they are.)

View attachment 2738126
She’s so pretty! I need one of those someday.

Our feed store has cages outside where you can find adult birds, rabbits, turkeys, and anything else people have sold them. I sold them three of my RIR + SLW sex link roosters last year, full-grown. That's how we got Wild Thang. Someone brought him in, and he was already almost mature.

Our feed store does have the chicks too, but I meant to specify that Wild Thang was one of the ones that someone sold them and I don't know if those people hatched him or bought him from a feed store, raised him, and sold him back to the feed store.
Oh. Well, then he could be anything, really!

Amber appreciates your compliments. :D
:love
I rescued her and three other sick babies, all with pasty butt. I fixed them up ;it was recurring, and they were weak, so it was almost a week before it went away.) and gave them probably the most royal care baby chicks have ever gotten. I was up at 11 some nights, making egg yolk/nutridrench/sugar “potions” that were super beneficial and they loved.
None of them live with me anymore, because I’ve already hit my stupid city person “chicken limit” but they were so much fun to save and raise. They have a thread, here.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...growth-thread-gender-guesses-welcome.1458087/
Awww!!! So glad they survived! Did you feed with a syringe or were they able to eat it out of a dish?

Our feed store had one early this year with that and I considered taking her home to try to help, but it was already so weak it couldn't stand, and the other chicks ate one of her toes off. I wasn't sure if I could help or not and if I needed to quarantine away from my hatch - I didn't have a place for injured chicks that was heated.

I'd love to read about them, thanks for the link. 😁

Sorry you have a chicken limit. 😢

She’s so pretty! I need one of those someday.
:love She appreciates your compliments! I really love her too. Hope you can get one someday! She has such a good personality too.

Actually, Gazette and Caramel in this thread are hers. I don't let her around roosters because it's traumatizing for her since she can't see them coming. The one rooster she likes, Patriot (the RIR + SLW mix), realized I left the gate unlatched one day and those two chicks resulted. 🤣 Those two chicks are quite a mix. Happy accident! 😆

:love

Awww!!! So glad they survived! Did you feed with a syringe or were they able to eat it out of a dish?

Our feed store had one early this year with that and I considered taking her home to try to help, but it was already so weak it couldn't stand, and the other chicks ate one of her toes off. I wasn't sure if I could help or not and if I needed to quarantine away from my hatch - I didn't have a place for injured chicks that was heated.

I'd love to read about them, thanks for the link. 😁

Sorry you have a chicken limit. 😢
I used a Q-tip at first, when they were so weak and wobbly and tiny that they couldn’t do much else but nibble at it, but when they were stronger they would rip the cotton top, so I switched to a syringe.
I do believe that my baby-boosting concoctions were partly responsible for their speedy recoveries. The three healthiest babies would gobble it down like crazy, but there was this one weak little Sapphire Gem girl who had the worst case of pasty butt, and she wouldn’t eat it. When she finally did, she perked up and started acting better. She quickly cleared out of the woods and grew fast. As a chick, she had these huge thick legs and big beak. She’s gonna be a big bird.
EC5C42D2-ED9F-4F27-80C1-26F555A0F0CE.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom