How many hens in a 10x10 run?

Atomzmom

Hatching
7 Years
May 13, 2012
How many many hens could I fit in a 10x10 chain link dog run, it could Also be set up as 5x15 if that would be better. The nesting house will be attached to the outside. Thanks!

10 x 10 can house several hens... if you go by 10 square feet per bird, you can keep 8-10 birds in there. I personally have 10 standard sized (various breeds) and four silkies in a 150 square foot run. No picking, no fighting, no birds acting stressed... they DO get out into my fenced back yard for at least an hour a day, which may help a tiny bit. BUT people will tell you to keep chickens on 1852345872 square feet each, and it is not really necessary. I'd not go over that 10 bird limit unless you keep bantams, and then you can have more, of course!

Edited to mention that right now, in the middle of the day, even though my birds CAN be out in the big back yard, they have put themselves back in their run. I was surprised to see them roosting in there, but they know best. Guess they were done digging up the yard :D

Last edited:
I have a 16x8 run, and I would only put about 4 or 5 in there. I only have two now, but I will be getting six more. So as a result, I'm doubling the run size.

My outside run area is 8 x 16 and I'm keeping 10 standard size chickens who seem very comfortable being outside during nice days. I have three bantams that are still to small to be included with this flock of 10 at the moment. They will all be together at a later date for a total of 13. However I have two other enclosed areas of the barn the chickens call home. One area is 10 x 26 foot which houses a indoor coop built onto a wall and roost area along with a 3 divided nesting box. The other room we like to call their 'play room'. It's 14 x 18 foot and also has another perch area as well as another 3 divided nesting box. Both rooms have an exterior door both leading into their 8 x 16 outside run.

So with the 10 x 10 area I see no reason why you could not keep up to 8 birds or so. I think they would all be happy together.

Last edited:
I have a 6' by 4' coop with a 3 rung ladder roost inside. The coop has two nesting boxes and free access to a 10' by 12' fenced in run.

The run's gate opens up into a large back yard where the hens spend most of the day. My 6 hens are very comfortable with that arrangement. A friend of my is giving away about 20 chickens. I believe I can safely take 6 of his hens, giving me a total of 12. All I would have to do is to put a second poop tray in the coop. My six hens use the top rung of the ladder roost, while the six new hens would use the next rung down. They don't stay in the coop, they only sleep there at night.

In the morning, the 12 hens would share the 10' by 12' run for a wile until I unlock the run's gate and let them into the yard. At 10 square feet per hen, I don't think they will feel crowed in the run.

A friend of my is giving away about 20 chickens. I believe I can safely take 6 of his hens, giving me a total of 12.

I think you're going to find the coop crowded and the run as well, especially during the integration period. Your 6 hens are comfortable right now because they're used to each other and you have space for 6. Doubling the number will change the dynamic. Expect bickering as the old birds try to chase off the new intruders and fight over roost space and other resources.

Well, you could be right. Maybe I don't want to change the system which is working well. My dad used to say "leave well enough alone"

Well, you could be right. Maybe I don't want to change the system which is working well. My dad used to say "leave well enough alone"

If you're really set on expanding the flock (a common wish!) I'd consider expanding the set up first. Means you'd likely have to pass on your friends' birds, unless they're willing to hold onto them for a while, but I think it's better to head off problems before they occur, rather than hope that they won't.

If you're hoping for 12 birds total, I'd double (or more) the amount of space in both coop and run. Also keep in mind more birds = more poop and more need for ventilation and poop management.

I have a 6' by 4' coop with a 3 rung ladder roost inside. The coop has two nesting boxes and free access to a 10' by 12' fenced in run.

The run's gate opens up into a large back yard where the hens spend most of the day. My 6 hens are very comfortable with that arrangement. A friend of my is giving away about 20 chickens. I believe I can safely take 6 of his hens, giving me a total of 12. All I would have to do is to put a second poop tray in the coop. My six hens use the top rung of the ladder roost, while the six new hens would use the next rung down. They don't stay in the coop, they only sleep there at night.

In the morning, the 12 hens would share the 10' by 12' run for a wile until I unlock the run's gate and let them into the yard. At 10 square feet per hen, I don't think they will feel crowed in the run.

🌹mary thyme has a few good points. Wise to follow her advice.

I was a bit confused b 🤷🏻‍♀️ b’cause you replied to an old thread. If you start a new one next time you have a question. You probably get more responses.

Back
Top Bottom