How many hens vs roos do I have?

newbie32

Songster
6 Years
Aug 16, 2013
Low Desert, CA
I have posted on here about 3 weeks ago-
idunno.gif
? Anyways, the one I thought was a roo now looks like a pullet to me and the ones I thought were pullets now look like roos. HELP!!!! I can only keep 1 roo and I want eggs! They are 6 weeks

Bird #1

Bird #2

Bird#3

bird #4

bird 5-polish

all together again-except polish

I am pretty sure that #3 and #4 are pullets. Bird #1 and #2 have pinker combs; however, they do not appear to be positively roosters yet. Your Polish's crest is looking like that of a male, so for now, I'm going to say cockerel for it.

I kinda thought the polish was a roo. I am not planning on breeding him nor do I fear him flogging me because he is the lowest on the pecking order. Bird #1 I thought for sure was a roo but now I am not so sure
roll.png
. That one happens to be my favorite and I named it Roo. It grew faster and was darker than the rest. However bird #2 has grown to the same size as #1 so I started questioning it. Bird 3 and 4 are smaller and are still getting feathers. #3 I started thinking could be a roo because of the tail feathers while #4 to me looks like a female. They are all from the same hatch so the differences in sizes bothers me a little.

Nothing really screams roo right now to me, #2 because of the comb and the polish because of crest shape, though I am not seeing any pink really, get my vote as the most likely to be boys.

I'm gonna say roo for the polish, because his crest looks like a male crest. Bird #1's comb is a little pink, but that's not a definite sign it's a rooster, so I'd say keep your eye on that one. Bird #2 is also in this boat. Bird #3 I would say is a pullet. Bird #4 I'm leaning toward pullet on too. What breed are the brown ones? Are they buff orps? I ask because male buff orps get this 'two tone' color thing going and are much more orange than the females. The females tend to be one color throughout and don't get any orange. If they are buff orps, I can tell you that by eight weeks I can usually tell by their combs.

I'm gonna say roo for the polish, because his crest looks like a male crest. Bird #1's comb is a little pink, but that's not a definite sign it's a rooster, so I'd say keep your eye on that one. Bird #2 is also in this boat. Bird #3 I would say is a pullet. Bird #4 I'm leaning toward pullet on too. What breed are the brown ones? Are they buff orps? I ask because male buff orps get this 'two tone' color thing going and are much more orange than the females. The females tend to be one color throughout and don't get any orange. If they are buff orps, I can tell you that by eight weeks I can usually tell by their combs.

Yes they are buff orps! thank you I will repost in 2 weeks with more pics!

Update: the birds combs are getting big this week! New pics! How many females vs males please. They are all 7 weeks old

Bird #1

Bird#2-always first to approach-also need to ask about the bottom of wing, the last few days it has been wet but I cant find the source of the wetness

Bird#3-smaller than bird 1 and 2

Bird #4-smaller than birds 1and2

Bird #5-fast little shyt!

Back
Top Bottom