How many here are actual backyarders vs. Farmers?

Thanks for the welcomes!! I'm near Santa Paula, California. I live in the heart of one of the most fertile agricultural zones in the world. Farmers are harvesting something 12 months out of the year. Avocados, lemons and strawberries are the most common crops around here.
Quote:
Wow! That is just beautiful! Where is it? Avocados and lemons ....unusual mix! oh and
welcome-byc.gif

Backyarder, I wouldn't say city limits, but pretty close. My yard is JUST under an acre, but it makes up for it by being a corner lot
smile.png
But I have good sized woods in my yard and all around me, so I never feel like a city slicker
wink.png

Quote:
We looked all over to find Herefords before we eventually went with the Red Wattles and Berkshires. Just couldn't find them close enough to Kentucky. I don't ship. I don't trust the majority of those people to take care of animals properly they are transporting. There are just too many "horror" stories from people I know about animals being left out during delays in the heat. I just can't do it. But I can drive a long way to get one, longer if they will meet me half way. Several of my Rat Terriers came via halfway trips and being picked up at shows from breeders who had dogs entered in an event close enough to reach. That's the closest to a 'Dog Show' any of them would ever be. I raise working dogs, not 'ribbon and fluff' dogs. Mine hunt. That's their job.

We have a "hobby farm" with goats, chickens, ducks, a bunny and veggie garden.....but I think we are still "backyarders"?

I'm a back-yarder too. One acre with a big veggie garden and 8 "girls" just outside city limits.

Another "betweener" here! We're on 6 acres that's currently zoned as residential but we're out in the country - minimum lot size around here seems to be 1/12 acres and there are two major horse farms within a mile radius. plus many of our neighbors have chickens, sheep and goats. We've got one horse for the moment who is king of his 3 acres of pasture. We've only got 12 chickens right now but just secured a contract to provide Americauna eggs to a Whole Foods store that participates in a program for small flock producers. Since they just changed the law in CT for becoming a licensed poultry facility to having 200 instead of 500 chickens, we're going to pick up 100 pullets within the next month and another 100 in about 6 months. Then we can sell to local markets, farmer markets, restaurants, etc. At that point we'll have 4 acres dedicated to livestock so the town told us they would rezone us as an official farm so we'll get taxed at the farm rate instead of the residential rate.

Back
Top Bottom