How many here are actual backyarders vs. Farmers?

My chicks little slice of paradise (except for the coyotes). 500 acre Avocado & Lemon ranch.
88926_img_0224.jpg

Been a lurked here for quite a while, decided to join in on the conversation.
Farmer here....... we raise beef cattle and hay,along with our chickens
and 4 horses and two donkeys.

Although I live on 33 acres I consider myself a beginning hobby farmer. I have had 3 horses and a barn for many years just for pleasure and a pet goat but have never made money from our place. I just got the 7 pullets and have started two bee hives. So yep, just gonna call myself a beginning hobby farmer.

I think my place is considered a farm now. I started out a backyarder but then my interest in different breeds of animals grew. I started out wanting 2 or 3 hens. Then i got 10. Then i wanted more so i built a new coop so i could add about 15 more. Then i had to have something to occupy my old chicken coop so i am putting my turkeys in it.
Then i realized i had 4 acres of pasture behind my house that i wasnt using and didnt want to mow so now i have 13 sheep and a guardian donkey. Then my sister wanted a rabbit so we got her one. Not to mention my 2 inside cats and my dog. I also have a fishtank full of fish. Last week i hatched out 5 bantam chicks and i have a duckling hatching right now. I plan on getting more ducks BTW. Writing this makes me realize how many pets i really have.
I live on 20 acres about 10 is wooded and 10 is pasture.
I think i am finally considering my place a farm.

Back
Top Bottom