How many here have seen tornadoes?

Up untill I was 9 I lived in a very small town in the heart of Kansas. I've seen at least three, uncountable number of funnel clouds, and probably was hiding in the basement of dozens more of them.

But the best was one year Halloween was postponed in our county cause we had a storm that dropped about a dozen on Halloween night. I also remember more than once being kept after school for an hour or two sitting in the halls in the "kiss your butt goodbye position.

A tornado at night is very, very dangerous. People have driven right into them before and were killed. You can use lightning to help you spot if you really must be on the road, but it's not advised if there's a warning in your area.

I've lived through a tornado, but I didn't see it. It came through in the early morning when I was in high school (it was so early that I wasn't even at school yet). It tore the roof right off our school's bus garage and flung it across the road into a field. Power lines were down everywhere. It was right before final exams, and our school canceled them and told us we could start summer vacation early. I was quite excited.

Rhett&SarahsMom :

Quote:
I just thought it would be a given.
Ya know. Tornado = basement

In some southern states, I've been told, the ground won't support basements. I think that it has something to do with the type of soil we have.​

I have been through two. Both when I was around 8 years old in Oklahoma City. One was one I could see and it was all I could do to make it back to the house and open the door because of the wind.

The other I rode out with a terrified teenage babysitter in the shower stall of a mobile home.

I have seen one... on tv.
tongue.png

Quote:
I just thought it would be a given.
Ya know. Tornado = basement

In some southern states, I've been told, the ground won't support basements. I think that it has something to do with the type of soil we have.

True. North Carolina was VERY sandy near the coast. I just have always wondered why they dont have them more often in KS, OK etc

Back
Top Bottom