How many here sell their eggs for eating?

I don't have any laying hens yet but I noticed that the people in my area that do sell fresh eggs, sell them for $2. a dozen. Eventually if I have enough chickens, I'll probably do the same thing. I'm hoping to be able to have enough eggs to donate to the local food pantry.

~Laurie~

What is "nest run"?

I have brown sexlinks and leghorns and had planned on giving those to the VFW breakfasts. My EE, Ameraucana, Araucana, and Marans will be in tractors in my backyard and I was planning on offering those for sale probably $3/dozen and $2.50 if they return the cartons.

I got a dozen eggs today from a dozen pullets, and most of the babies aren't even ready to lay yet. June or so I will be up to my eyeballs in eggs....

Quote:
Az calls anything that is not inspected, candled, or weighed, "nest run".

I guess it is just how it sounds. Right out of the nest into a carton.

I sell mine for $1.50 but am going to go up to $2.00 for new customers. I very seldom have more than one dozen in my fridge..I have a rotating list of people that want the eggs. If I were trying to make money, I would probably sell for $3.50 or $4.00 a dozen. All of my eggs are brown eggs, I only wash those that look dirty. My animals get the poopy eggs.

I have five layers currently but will have more next year (just got 20 chicks..hoping 5 will be pullets). Our chicks have a fairly large run (1200 sq feet). Of course, they would like more ... and more... and more. We don't free range because of our dogs. We also have an area of the run that is under a roof although so far rain does not seem to bother the chickens at all.

Quote:
When ours first really started putting out, we wondered what we were going to do with all the eggs. We now get about 3 1/2 dozen a day and have to make sure we keep enough for ourselves. Word gets around. We are very rural, at the end of a mile of dirt road,so, it's not our convient location that keeps people coming back.

We have people tell us they can't stand store bought eggs anymore. You should be able to get your $3.00 and still have a waiting list, with the colored eggs you'll be selling. Best of luck to you.

Thank you all so much, there are alot of good suggestions and ideas here. I like the idea of the clear eggcartons, but I had worried they didn't pad the eggs well enough for transport and storage and maybe they wouldn't hold up as well. In another thread, someone had also suggested a half dozen carton to "give away" as a sample before charging for full dozens.

Quote:
How many chickens do you have?

Total 125 or more, lots of banty around 40 to 45 layers, and now with chicks ? plus turkeys, ducks, geese, quail. when I've got chicks I try not to count becouse I'd think I was nuts for having so many, there eggs hatching right now and more in 4 days. Paula

I'm also babysitting 8

Usually, I sell mine for $2.50/doz, but now, eggs in my local area in the store are $1/doz. I know they are not the same, but many will skip mine for the cheaper ones, especially in this economy. I thought about lowering my price, but my feed costs are pretty much the same. I wish people could understand that it costs backyard flock people far more per bird to feed them than the big operations that buy feed in bulk.

Back
Top Bottom