How many homeschooling families do we have on BYC?

There are actually a good many BYCers that Home School. We've had some great threads on the subject.

We have Home Schooled for 13 years now and have loved every minute of it... even the ones where I'm sure I'm failing as a teacher.

My oldest is a Freshman in a 'hard to get into' University and our second oldest has been admitted to the same school for next fall. We are very proud of them!

We have several special needs children and Home Schooling has been the biggest blessing for us and them. They get the one on one that they truly need and have excelled and blossomed under loving tutelage that is specifically designed for their learning styles.

Yes, there are days when I wonder how I can continue but I've never once even considered stopping.

I homeschool my two kids--they're in third grade & kindergarten and have never been in public school. There are days when I want to tear my hair out (and my son's!) and wonder why I don't put them on the school bus. Then there are days like today when a good friend of mine (with chickens & ducks & goats, oh my!) is wondering what to do about her SECOND GRADE daughter who is being followed around, hung on (hugged, etc, when she doesn't really want it), and called at home by a couple of boys. Today I'm thinking "thank goodness my kids aren't in public school!"

Erika

Hi! I'm in the second year of homeschooling my eleven year old son. I started him off in Montessori and even became a Montessori teacher, but it wasn't a good fit for him long term, so after several moves and transitions with public schools, we're SO happy to be at home... I think that real life has so much to offer as learning opportunities! We recently constructed our first chicken coop, which has been one of our favorite projects to date.

Yes, I have days where I wonder why I don't take the easy route, but all in all, it's so nice to have him home! He's happy, growing, and learning every day.

Good luck on your hs journies!

Catherine

Quote:
Here is OKlhoma it is one of the easiest states to homeschool in. There are no rules about it. I have been looking into a chritian based homeschool here and it sounds great. They keep records and even have a graduation for the homeschooled kids. He would still get report cards and they send me all the things we need during the year. It also doesn't sound very high to me. They cost is right around $1000 for a year and that includes all books and things you will need.
Chris

Quote:
I believe this is normal, isn't it?!?!
wink.png

I came into it very unprepared also. My son was getting picked on mercilessly at school and the teachers were getting tired of him falling behind in his work and throwing him out in the hallway during class. They were also taking away PE, Music, and recess so he would stay in and catch up on his work. Then he'd come home with anther 3 or so hours of homework! It was terrible! The day he came home from school, dropped his book bag at my feet with tears streaming down his little cheeks asking me, "Mommy, why am I so stupid?" was the last day he ever attended public school. That broke my heart and after he came out, I pulled my others out over the next 2 months. They will never go back either.

My son is getting bullied also at school. He said it doesn't matter what he does someone makes fun of him. He doesn't like going to school at all. This week he has been so moody. Every little thing sets him off. They start their acevment, I know I didn't spell that right, test next week.
Chris

I took my daughter out in 4th grade and my son was in 3rd grade. They are now in 11th and 10th grade and also taking some college level courses.
I've never regretted homeschooling, although there are days when I question my sanity by the minute.
smile.png

They were both in a private Christian school but very bored and not getting to work to their complete potential so we embarked on our homeschooling adventure.
I did various kinds of curriculums when I first started until we found what worked for them and then stuck to that curriculum from 6th grade through present. *A Beka* We use their DVD teaching disks and then their books/workbooks for each grade level.
We do supplement with some books from other curriculums in the college level courses and with library books and internet for research.
We all love the freedom it gives us, and learning is still fun and interesting for the most part instead of the boring daily grind it was when we began.
It's been the most interesting to me to see exactly how they learn everything and I know each of their learning styles and am better able to help them understand than I would be otherwise. When you see that light come on in person, it just does something magic for you. You know exactly what they know and don't know. There's no way to just slide by on the good graces of "no child left behind".
I'd recommend it to anyone to at least try. If I can do it, anyone can!
There are so many awesome resources out there for every type of learning style known to man and all special needs as well. You can pick and choose exactly what works for each child and stay on a subject until they truly "get it", so they don't end up falling between the cracks when they need extra help.

Quote:
I believe this is normal, isn't it?!?!
wink.png

I came into it very unprepared also. My son was getting picked on mercilessly at school and the teachers were getting tired of him falling behind in his work and throwing him out in the hallway during class. They were also taking away PE, Music, and recess so he would stay in and catch up on his work. Then he'd come home with anther 3 or so hours of homework! It was terrible! The day he came home from school, dropped his book bag at my feet with tears streaming down his little cheeks asking me, "Mommy, why am I so stupid?" was the last day he ever attended public school. That broke my heart and after he came out, I pulled my others out over the next 2 months. They will never go back either.

My son is getting bullied also at school. He said it doesn't matter what he does someone makes fun of him. He doesn't like going to school at all. This week he has been so moody. Every little thing sets him off. They start their acevment, I know I didn't spell that right, test next week.
Chris

Just watch him so he doesn't get depressed, especially at his age. Kids can be so mean.

I have my kids that are high school age enrolled in accredited high schools that they do via the internet and mail. The one through the mail is The American School of Correspondence, which I'm not to crazy about. My oldest is in that one and will graduate in 4 more months! My second oldest is in Penn Foster High School and I absolutely love it! They send him his books, he does them, takes the test on line, and his grades are recorded. He has a student advisor he can call anytime for whatever reason. It is absolutely fantastic. PM me if you want more information about it.
smile.png

Last edited:
i have been homeschooled my whole life and wouldn't have it any other way. Most of these years have been with Sonlight Curriculum, which I really like because it is very history and literature based. I think I read about 30 required reading books a year with it, and since I'm a bookworm, it works really well with me.

We homeschool too. We are enrolled in BOSS...Buckeye On-line School for Success. This is our 4th year. I love it!!
My 13 yo does Lincoln Interactive....books and then all work is done on the computer.
My 6, 9, and 11 yo do Calvert. We complete the curriculum, they take a test, and then we turn it in to be graded.
I pay my my to homeschool my 6 yo, my 13 is pretty much on his own unless he asks for help, and my 9 and 11 yo are working on the same grade level and I do most of their teaching. My kids are SUPER good and they love it! I asked my 13 yo if he wanted to go back to public school at the end of our first year homeschooling and he said "No way! There is no pressure at home!" He was losing his recess every day at school because he was not getting his work done. Then he just started prefering to stay in rather than going out to play so he would purposely not get his work done. Then we had just as much homework for the 3 oldest as what it took to do our whole school day homeschooling!! Now we have time for Tae Kwon Do, piano, band, Rangers, and sports without feeling overwhelmed.
I would like to send my kids to the vocational school in the 11th grade but they will not be giong back to the local public school.

Back
Top Bottom