How many homeschooling families do we have on BYC?

tamlynn

Songster
11 Years
Nov 5, 2008
Torrance, CA
I've noticed several people mention they homeschool in their siggys. Very cool! We started hs this year and I love it. Its a lot of hard work, but totally worth it. I'd love to hear stories of your family, how you started, what you like best, challenges, etc.

For me, the biggest challenge is organizing my time so I still get some free time now and then to just do what I want and/or be alone with my thoughts.

I will be watching this post. My son is wanting to homeschool him starting next year. HE is going to be in 9th grade next year.
Chris

I do and the funny thing is that I was thinking about starting a thread asking this very same question yesterday!
lol.png

I started homeschooling in 2004 and absolutely love it! It is very hard work and often leaves my brain feeling like mush, but it is so worth it. I know where my kids are, what they are doing, and who they hang out with. I also know exactly what they are and aren't being taught, which is an important thing where I live.

Anyone can ask my kids (people do all of the time) if they would like to go back to public school and they always answer with a, "Heck no!" They are completely content with being schooled here at home and I truly believe they are learning more here than they ever did in the public school system.

Chris- I suggest you start by looking at the homeschooling laws in your state. Teaching your son at home could be an amazing experience for both of you!

gumpsgirl -great minds think alike, huh? My dd hated public school. Ds was only in K, so he liked school. Sometimes he'll say he's not sure which he prefers, but then he starts thinking about all the great places we go and he admits hs is more fun. The thing he misses the most is the playground/recess, so we have lots of park days.

I went from a state where all I had to do to homeschol is fill out a form every year.
Now in Illinois we do not have to do anything.
I came into homeschooling unprepared and still feel lost compared to some but we plug away and have fun!

I home schooled our 2 daughters from grade school through high school. They have both gone on to college. I will start kindergarten with our son this fall. We are military and moved a lot so this life style worked very well for us.

farrier! :

I came into homeschooling unprepared and still feel lost compared to some but we plug away and have fun!

I believe this is normal, isn't it?!?!
wink.png

I came into it very unprepared also. My son was getting picked on mercilessly at school and the teachers were getting tired of him falling behind in his work and throwing him out in the hallway during class. They were also taking away PE, Music, and recess so he would stay in and catch up on his work. Then he'd come home with anther 3 or so hours of homework! It was terrible! The day he came home from school, dropped his book bag at my feet with tears streaming down his little cheeks asking me, "Mommy, why am I so stupid?" was the last day he ever attended public school. That broke my heart and after he came out, I pulled my others out over the next 2 months. They will never go back either.​

I've been homeschooling for 9 years and wouldn't do it any other way. A second one graduates this year. He did 11th & 12th grade in one year. I'll be missing him I'm sure like I miss the other one. It's hard on the emotions when you get to the end. I've one left that's in 9th.

Feeling unprepared is very normal. Our story is very similar to yours. My girls were also overwhelmed with home work and our oldest had a mentally abusive teacher. The system can tear your children down quick. It takes a long time to repair the damage.

We school at home and I love it. We are actually doing Idaho Virtual Academy so the lesson plans are on the computer and we have a teacher checking in through email and the phone. I like this method because I know my kids are getting what they need but sometimes the work is overwhelming and I would like to just "homeschool", if that makes sense. Dh would never allow that though. It was a battle to keep the oldest two at home and do this. Ds (14) will be going back to public school next year because he wants to, but dd (8) will be home with me.

Back
Top Bottom