How many homeschooling families do we have on BYC?

Try getting her the preschool Comprehensive Curriculum workbook. You can get them at all of the bigger bookstores and Sam's Club. They are much, much cheaper at Sam's if you can get one there.

I'll deffinately look into that. I've been hitting up craigslist, freecycle and the dollar tree (gotta love it nothing over a dollar) usually has disney, fisher price or playskool "work books" that have adding and subtracting and they are only $1 for about 12-20 page book. I'd like to get a really good second language program (french or japanese) but I don't speak any languages except english and I don't want to teach her wrong. I've heard that rosetta stone is a good program but I can't afford $400+ on a language program....lol.

If you are going to go with a language program, then Rosetta Stone is the best. You are right though. It is very pricey, but that holds true to you get what you pay for.
smile.png

They do.

Call your school board office and talk to the person who is over the homeschooling there. They will let you know who you need to contact for the homeschool group in your area.

Good luck with everything!
smile.png

We just got the Rossetta Stone for latin american spanish. Very good program and worth the money.
We went on a mission trip this year and I didn't want to spend the money, but after going and not being able to speak the language, this program is priceless. We will be able to talk to them when we go next year.

I've been homeschooling my 3 boys since the oldest began Kindergarten. I used to teach in the public schools & know firsthand how much time is wasted in institutional education. Some people ask me "If you could afford it, would you put your kids in a good private school?" I tell them "If I had that kind of money I would instead hire a housekeeper and personal shopper and spend more TIME exploring & learning with my boys!"

My broody hens also homeschool their children. They spend most of their time talking to them, even before they've hatched. Then they spend their days taking field trips, talking about everything they see, teaching them all they know about the world. When the hens find something really interesting, they'll call to their children excitedly and tell them all about the good thing they've found. If something is too big for their child to manage they'll break it up into smaller bits just the right size for them.

We've home schooled our two oldest DDs (number 3 is still a toddler) for 5 years. Oldest DD asked to return to PS for high school as a freshman and we finally agreed -so she is currently enrolled in PS. Our middle daughter (2nd grade) saw her older sister leaving on the bus everyday and she now wants to try PS for 3rd grade. Again, reluctantly, we have agreed.

I want both daughters to do well. Our freshman is an Honor Roll student, an athlete, and has made some good friends and of course I want that for our middle DD next year, too. But I would be lying if I said I wanted her to just love the PS and never look back. Secretly, I'm hoping she wants to return to home schooling someday of her own accord and not because anything bad happened at school.

I will very much miss being a full time home school mom.

I have done home schooling,online public(OHDELA),public,and private(Montessori). By far my favorite method was hsing and then Montessori. If dh would allow I would go back to hsing my dd and let my ds stay in Montessori(since he likes it). I really hate forcing the kids into a method of schooling they dislike just for the sake of having them *in school*,but that is what my dh wanted.My kids liked/disliked something about each method,but they agreed that public was by far the worse choice.

When hsing we got a lot of material online,from library,and resale shops.The money we saved on gas and school related expenses we used for Y memberships and outings.It was a lot of fun.

Even though my kids are in school now they don't make more friends than when the were home school.And to boot I hear a lot of things their classmates do and say that I would much rather my children not have to tolerate daily.

Learning happens everywhere so I never understood why my family thinks only teachers and a school building can result in our children learning.

Back
Top Bottom