how many is enough?

abhaya

Songster
12 Years
Nov 5, 2010
cookeville, tn
Hi again.
I got some chicks 2 austrolorp 3 eastereggers, 3 silkies 2 died not sure why my question is how many silkies shouls I have for them to stay warm outside in the winter my coop (in progress) is 4.5x4.5 and about 3 feet high insulated with 1 inch styrofoam board insulation sides bottom and roof no heat lamp if I can avoid it the nest boxes will ba exterior so that space wiil be open. (I would have to have electric run to the barn ) again my ???? how many silkies do I need for them to stay warm and be happy in winter the temp drops to loww teens very rare single didgets.

guess I was not clear the silkies will be in the coop i described by themselves not mixed with the big girls. My big girls have a 10x10 coop it used to me the milk house on the farm

Last edited:
You don't need silkies to keep the rest of your chickens warm! They have their own feathers and will keep themselves warm. As long as you have ventilation without drafts blowing directly on your chickens, they will be fine!

It sounds like you have the right amount of space for the birds you have (but watch out, you're gonna want more
tongue.png
) The Australorps and EEs will get pretty big, and will need about 4 sq feet per bird in the coop. The silkie won't need as much space, but you don't want your coop too crowded or the bigger birds may pick on the smaller one.

Perhaps the OP asks because many silkies can't 'fly' up on to a roost and so if they are all by themselves on the floor they will be cold.

I would think if that were the case, you'd want 3 or 4 so they can rotate to the middle at night.

Let me see if I have the facts straight.

You are building a 4.5x4.5 coop and currently have 6 chickens (5 LF and 1 Silkie)

If this is for all of your birds your coop is full right now. Those dimensions will give you 20.25 sq ft of coop space and working with 3-4 sq ft per bird you have reached or exceeded the suggested limit.

If this is just for your silkies, I am sure one of the enablers on the site will help you out, I don't have a good answer.

Let's see, the way I figger, you need a bigger coop and more chickens! No matter if I multiply, divide, add or subtract I still get the same answer! Iknow I am Figureing correctly. I love chicken math it has such a great curve.
wink.png

10 to the nth power. Oh and a much bigger coop!
gig.gif
(yes I am one of those EVIL chicken enablers emaw was warning you about!
wink.png
)

We've had as few as 1 silkie overwinter here with the other breeds. It's never been a problem. Our lowest roost is 2-2.5 feet off the floor, there is a crate underneath that's about 15-18 inches tall, the silkies I have had have all roosted. They just hopped up from the floor to the crate and the crate to the roost, cuddled right in with the other birds.

If you will not have them in the same coop as other birds you will want to have at least two, not so much for the warmth issue imo, but because they will get lonely if penned in all alone.

Back
Top Bottom