How many is TOO many?! (And my intro)

Thank you so much!! So very helpful
G'Day from down under randiferina :frowWelcome!

Great intro! :clap

Best wishes to you, Joy and her babies in egg shell pyjamas!

I do hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

BYC has Topic of the Week discussions which I have found to be a great resource, informative and sometimes entertaining; so definitely worth checking out.

If you would like to share more Pictures and Stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out ;)

You might want to also Find Your State Thread and pop in and say hello.

Thank you so much!! So very helpful! :thumbsup

Congrats!

I have a BO on 12 eggs right now and I gave 12 to another last fall. The one who was on eggs in the fall hatched 10. Two of the eggs broke the first week because they had thin shells. She hatched the rest.

On candling, you can't see much before day 7. I wouldn't candle before then. I candle at 7, 14, and 18 days.

12 seemed like a bit much when I gave them to her.. But after watching her a few days and hearing of others that have sat on 12 or MORE... It seems reasonable! She's turning them all and moving them around.. She didnt get up at all the 1st 2 days.. Wednesday I got her up to eat and drink.. Yesterday she took a break on her own. I was planning to candle day 7.. I watched a pretty informative video on how to and what to look for.. Wish me luck :lol:

Update!!! So we candled at day 9 to check development.. All were developing and 1 had a crack.. I tossed the cracked one and only peeked inside when she got up each day to make sure none were broken.. Yesterday she hatched out 9 babies of the 11 left :woot .. Today the 9 babies are doing great and 2 remaining eggs have not pipped.. I know she probably needs to be up with babies by tomorrow afternoon (48 hrs after hatch)

IF the eggs haven't hatched and she doesn't get up.. Should I encourage her to get up? If she gets up on her own and they haven't hatched.. Should I pip the eggs myself? What are some suggestions at this point with 9 of 11 hatched and we're 24 hours + after the first chick hatched..?

Back
Top Bottom