How many is too many?

trogers

Hatching
5 Years
Jul 3, 2014
Hello all! I am new to backyard chickens & currently own 4 meaties & 2 sexlinks. We live in city limits, so my babies truly are backyard chickens! We constructed a 6'x10' coop/run and are considering adding a couple of barred rocks. I need opinions on if we have enough space to add to our flock. Thanks in advance!

We are going to let them live comfortably for as long as they can! I can't bear to think of anything else!

We are going to let them live comfortably for as long as they can! I can't bear to think of anything else!

Might I offer a suggestion regarding the meaties?

It would make room for the barreds

I raise meat chickens. Fully free ranged, all natural, very happy chickens, with one bad day. They are bred to grow fast and large and need close monitoring if one keeps them longer than the suggested 8-12 weeks. They are prone to heart issues and leg issues over long periods of time compared to regular layers. I have a separate flock of layers and a continuously rotating flock of meat birds. I find it intriguing you'd purposely get meaties not to eat.
Not saying it can't be done but why not use the space and time for a pretty bird that regularly lays you breakfast? Layers are cleaner too and eat less.
Usually people buy them to eat, that pic made me hungry :gig. Sorry. Didn't mean to offend.

Well, if you want them to live for any length of time you are going to have to micromanage them. Their feed will have to be restricted. Also they are not sexed so you likely have some cockerels.

I am rather baffled though. WHY would you choose Cornish X for a pet flock? They are not known for their long lives or laying abilities.

Back
Top Bottom