How many just let your broodies do the work? Update post #32 Pictures!

PaulaJoAnne

Songster
10 Years
Jul 30, 2009
Just curious, as I get next to no response on questions related to natural setting and hatching.

I had two hens start to brood, and then quit after two days.
Now I've got the real deal.
A standard buff cochin who has been doing her duty well for 24 hours.
She is flat as can be, giving little clucks now and then, etc.
Sitting on about 12 eggs I think (I forgot to count
hide.gif
)

The question I have is, since I have her kenneled inside, due to it still being dead winter here, how do I "make" her
take potty and lunch breaks.
Or, is it better to just let her be, and make sure the water and food are always fresh?
She has not budged, except to turn around twice, in 24 hours.

Last edited:
I would just let her be, she knows when to get up to eat and poo. I see so many people worry about them not getting off the nest when she knows what she is doing. If you have other hens in the same pen, I would mark her eggs so you dont gather them by mistake. I mark mine with a marker, I put a line the hole way around the egg. Good luck and keep us posted...........

She is by herself in a kennel under our stairs.
I have food and water in there with her.
Thanks for the advice.
With all the modern methods we are accustomed to, its hard to learn the old ways.

When I have a hen sitting on eggs, I do NOT put food and water with them, I keep it in the same room they are in, but I dont put it in with them. When she gets off the nest, I want her to get up and move around some and I want her to poo outside of the box. But thats me. Some will not agree with me, but each to their own.............

Quote:
Hmm, I might try that. I am able to block off the little room, so she can't get into the rest of the house.
Probably be better for her, since she has to be inside.

I have only had one broody but she did get off the eggs to go eat, drink and potty. She was quick. I would not have it right next to her either. You don't want her pooping on the eggs.

Quote:
Its not right next to her. Its one of those giant kennels, and I have the food in the very front, ans she has to get up to get to it.

Let her sit first on fake eggs for 2 or 3 days to be sure she's a seriously broody. If a broody hen get off the nest 2 or 3 times a day, she won't be good hatching eggs. I had have hens that won't get off the nest for 1 or 2 days, all depends of the hen. Give her enough room to stretch her legs and wings. I had have hens that during the summer time will get a quit sand bath. This help them keep mites or lices away(clean). When a hen gets broody for the first time give her like 6 eggs to test her hatching abilities.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom