how many Lbs. of feed needed

Tim in Pa.

In the Brooder
11 Years
May 21, 2008
SW Pa.
I'm trying to do some planning on future expenses for feed for my soon to arrive 25 chicks,As I am completely new to this (raised a few hogs and couple cows but never chickens) How many pounds of feed will I approx. need for the 25 a week or a month or whatever time frame you want to break it down to, as chicks and a ballpark amount at older ages? I know this will vary but a rough estimate is all I'm looking for at this time.

Thanks,Tim

I think you'll need 50 lbs for the first 6-7 weeks. Beyond that, I'm not sure since it depends what else they get to eat.

my nearly 3 week olds, 8 of them, eat about 5 pounds in 3-4 days (well they spill some and some I have to dump when its almost empty) ...they were out of the 20 pound bags at TSC
barnie.gif
hope it helps

Last edited:
I have 14 chicks, now 6 weeks old and I am to the end of my 3rd 25lb bag of starter. That averages out to 1.8 lb per day.
This of course includes the amounts wasted by them being messy eaters
gig.gif

Thats everyone ,WOW they eat alot more than I thought! I can just see the future now "Honey sorry no steaks this week we need to buy another sack of feed for the chicks"

Just like cows and hogs it depends on what breed you are raising. They all have different growth rates and thus different feed needs.

With my first batch this year I have 12 Cornish cross and 3 Barreds and they went through 50 lbs of food in the first 4 weeks. That averages about .84 pounds per bird per week.

Now that I have them moved to grower they are eating a bit more, that or I am just being weirded out by the larger feeder. But it seems that they are eating more. I think it will be about a bag every 2 weeks. Or approx 1.6 pounds a week.

I know that the Cornish are eating far more than my Barred Rocks. But it will give you an idea.

big_smile.png

Here's a link to info on the University of Missouri, Department of Animal Sciences website. Scroll down to Table 3.

You'll see that a 2 week old chick eats 90 grams of feed per week.
90 grams = .20 lb;
25 chicks x .20 = 5 lbs/week

A 12 week old pullet eats 430 grams each week.
430 grams ~ 1 lb;
25 pullets x 1 = 25 lbs/week

At 24 weeks, a laying hen eats 595 grams of feed each week.
595 grams = 1.3 lb;
25 hens x 1.3 = 32.5 lbs/week

A laying hen's feed requirements peak at 30 weeks at 1.7 lbs of feed weekly. That's right at a quarter pound of feed every day.

These are low-ball numbers - Leghorn type chickens.

Steve

When my chicks were a week old (I had 10 of them) a 5 lb bag lasted a good week. I got a 50 lb bag after that and it lasted till they were old enough to be outside, about 4 more weeks. Now, I have 28 chickens outside, and they go through about 50lbs of feed in about a week and a half. I'm gonna keep more detailed track when I get my 27 chicks this week.

Back
Top Bottom