How many meaties you going to raise this spring

Mr.Grantly :

Quote:
O come on Jeff out with it your the master here. We all need something to aspire to . I should add that my wife and I are going to try for under 9 % moratlity:rolleyes:

Grant

LOL.... 9% is tough... I'm still workin on that! I seem to lose at least 10-15%. Sometimes I get the 5% loss but the overall is around 10-12%. As far as how many we did this year... we did 2,700. Close to 400 a month for six months plus I did an experiment batch for the middle of November of 300. My goal next year is 300 every two weeks.... but we shall see.

I couldn't have done it without my Featherman equipment.... great people to work with.​

I still don't know. I don't raise more than 50 at a time...any more than that and my backyard smells like chicken poop a little more than I will tolerate. I don't have the space to properly tractor more than that. I will probably try to get a flock of Cornish X in and out before I start the turkeys. I don't like to have meaties and turkeys going at the same time.

I will say this though...I'm upping my prices in the Spring! I should have been charging more for these freedom rangers. Oh well...live and learn.

2010 plans. 2 batches of Cornish x's (100 total), 20 BB Turkeys, the remaining 1/2 dozen A&M quail (actually, they were sold to me as A&M but they are dark meat), maybe a few roos that slip through the sexing at the hatchery, and possibly try some bobwhite quail (because they have white breast meat).

Spring chicks: 0 Fall chicks: 25
I am NEVER going to do chicks in the spring again- by the time they matured, I nearly fainted from the stench.
th.gif

It seems to work better for me to do chicks in the fall- it's warm enough early September for me to pop them straight out to their coop, and the cold dosen't seem to make them stink quite as much, for some reason.
idunno.gif
Plus, they actually gain a pound or so extra!
big_smile.png
big_smile.png
I'm thinkin' it's because the cold makes them eat a bit more (if that's even possible).

Trying 25 in spring and if they do well I'll do another 25or 50 in fall... On top of Quail and Rabbits.. And trying out 12 - 15 Turkeys as well...

Last edited:
Quote:
I cant wait to try turkeys this year. I think we are going to try for 25.Being that its our first year I'm expecting big loses.

Grant

Quote:
O come on Jeff out with it your the master here. We all need something to aspire to . I should add that my wife and I are going to try for under 9 % moratlity:rolleyes:

Grant

LOL.... 9% is tough... I'm still workin on that! I seem to lose at least 10-15%. Sometimes I get the 5% loss but the overall is around 10-12%. As far as how many we did this year... we did 2,700. Close to 400 a month for six months plus I did an experiment batch for the middle of November of 300. My goal next year is 300 every two weeks.... but we shall see.

I couldn't have done it without my Featherman equipment.... great people to work with.

2700 !!!!!!!! I cant wait to run that many, but everyone says slow and steady. I love pasturing the chickens . I get 2 times as much grass where theyve been the year before. How many Turkeys you doing Jeff ?

Grant

Did a dozen cornish X last year and family liked em better than dual purpose birds. Maybe 12 to 25 this year and would like to raise 10 pilgram geese also, never raised geese before. My fam isn't big into raising stuff like me so I'm the one holding the bag, that's why I limit what I do.

Back
Top Bottom