How Many Nests are Necessary?

I had 10 boxes for 32 hens for the first 6 months--they all were used and some had favorites to the point of forcing some of the more meek girls out if they needed them. Recently I had 2 more broodies in addition to my normal 3, so I had to make some more out of what I had on hand. Now there are 6 more and all but 1 has been used. And my goofy lakenvelder and polish still lay in the corner of the coop floor at 1 year of age.

Well it really depends on breed and if you want them to set i have about 12 hen and 8 or so nest boxes and they all lay in about 3 nest but when they set i have to put wire around it so the other hen dont lay in her nest ( but remember to let her out every other day ) but to anwser your question no they dont need privicy and will lay in the same nest

I have `14.. 8 bantam sized 6 RIR pullets, they have 6 nest boxes.. all 14 sleep in one box, they are young and are just now getting to the point that is ridiculous. I went and looked and all you see is legs and necks sticking out of the hole. I do not know what I am going to do when they do start laying...

I have `14.. 8 bantam sized 6 RIR pullets, they have 6 nest boxes.. all 14 sleep in one box, they are young and are just now getting to the point that is ridiculous. I went and looked and all you see is legs and necks sticking out of the hole. I do not know what I am going to do when they do start laying...

If I were you I would close up the nest boxes until they start to lay. If they get in the habit of sleeping and laying in there you might get some broken eggs, and then egg eaters... Personally I am not even going to add my nest boxes until I see my first egg, or at least until they are super close to laying.

i have a question...how high up do the boxes have to be ?

You want them lower than your roosts, so they don't sleep in them, but on the floor is fine many do it that way if they have the space. Otherwise, as long as your girls can get to them easily I don't think it makes a difference how high up they are. If you have heavier breeds of chicken you can add a ramp to them to make it super easy if you need them very high up. Mine will bee about 1 foot off the ground when I put them in.

I have 2 hens that just started laying for the first time a week ago and they share 1 nesting box. One hen likes to lay her eggs before noon and the other mid-afternoon.

All's well in the chicken coop.......
yippiechickie.gif

Back
Top Bottom