How Many Nests are Necessary?

Thank you, thats a good idea.

If I were you I would close up the nest boxes until they start to lay. If they get in the habit of sleeping and laying in there you might get some broken eggs, and then egg eaters... Personally I am not even going to add my nest boxes until I see my first egg, or at least until they are super close to laying.

Hi, I'm a newbie, gotta question. We're getting ready to build our nest boxes and need to know how high up from the floor of the coop should they be placed? Do you have a gang plank for them to help them get up to it?? Thanx for any help! :)

As long as the boxes are lower than the roost bars, any height will work. I have a small coop and my 2 nest boxes are only about 4 inches off the floor. The birds can easily see in and also step in with out any assistance of steps.

Last edited:
Hmmmmmm, our roosting bar is under the nesting boxes. They seem to have no problem hopping up to lay in the boxes... sometimes they sleep in the boxes, sometimes they sleep on the roosting bar. Hmmmmmm, I say again. They're just quirky. lovely quirky chickies.

Back
Top Bottom