How many of you are experiencing a drop in egg production?

Quote:
No, I think you misunderstood Gritsar.

During their first winter some pullets do not seem to be as strongly effected by the decrease in light.

The second winter may cause a real break in their egg production.

Steve

digitS' :

Quote:

During their first winter some pullets do not seem to be as strongly effected by the decrease in light.

Steve

So what's the deal? Thursday 1/3, Friday 1/3, Saturday 1/3 and today......0
sad.png

digitS' :

Quote:

Steve

Yes, that's what I meant. Sometimes depending on when they first start laying they'll keep on laying right thru their first winter. Mine were hatched in April and continued to lay well all last winter. Thanks for clarifying that Steve.
smile.png

Quote:

Steve

Yes, that's what I meant. Sometimes depending on when they first start laying they'll keep on laying right thru their first winter. Mine were hatched in April and continued to lay well all last winter. Thanks for clarifying that Steve.
smile.png

Yeah, thanks Steve, but what's the deal with my 5 1/2 month old hens? Sometimes they sit in the nesting box for a long time and come out singing the egg song too, but no egg. Is it possible the eggs are getting eaten between the time I hear the song and getting to the nesting boxes? I haven't seen any evidence of that, but maybe I'm missing it?

I have 10 chickens and they've been laying 4 on average per day. I opened their pen so they could free range on about an extra acre and now I am getting only 1 per day. I was wondering if they are laying in other places, but now I am reading some comments about "molting". I don't know anything about molting, so I have some learning to do.

My question: When given a more open area to run around, do chickens tend to ignore the coop and lay in other places? Mine have always laid their eggs in the coop.
sad.png

My 6 girls were giving us 5-6 eggs per day and now we are getting 4-5 per day, so not too bad. They are just about through their molt. Good thing cuz the weather is turning quite cool here in NW Ohio

Quote:
In my experience, the more "production" oriented breeds will tend to keep laying in the coop once that is what they become accustomed to. The more "broody" sort may very well take advantage of free ranging to start hiding nests out in mother nature's back yard, leaving you with an egg hunt. I expect that this also varies by individual bird, though.

Back
Top Bottom