How many of you are growing your flock?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by trunkman, Jan 29, 2011.

1. trunkman

trunkman Songster

Dec 26, 2009
    Rock Hill SC
    I started my flock a year ago with the intention of having about a dozen chickens, since then I discovered I really love chickens and started to increase my flock by incubating my own eggs, I just hatched 7 chicks and want lots more. I really don't know why but I just love gathering the eggs every day and enjoy their company. I find it very addictive and want more and just don't know when to stop. How about you, are you planning to grow your flock? [​IMG]

2. dirtsaver

dirtsaver Songster

Mar 20, 2010
    Northern Kentucky
    You know it! We planning on adding 6 or so more to the laying flock and are thinking about raising some meaties this summer too. I don't think we are ready for hatching just yet though.

Larry

3. BarredBuff

BarredBuff Songster 8 Years

Dec 6, 2009
    Yes I am! Im adding 3 Aussies and a dozen Buff Orps. Maybe a new duck....IDK. Im gonna cull some more doms too.....

4. flowerchild59

flowerchild59 Songster

Apr 25, 2010
    Southern IL
    I am thinking about adding some amerauacanas and marans to my flock of 30 hens. I would like to sell about 10 of mine and get 10 new ones.......hmmm, craigslist to the rescue???

5. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Free Ranging Premium Member 8 Years

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    I'm hoping to grow it in the spring, and then shrink it in the fall. I want to have a dual-purpose flock. Right now I have a Brahma rooster (almost the size of a small turkey), 2 SLWs, 2 production reds, 1 BO, 5 EEs, and a banty hen (she's there strictly for hatching purposes). I'm hoping to hatch out some eggs this spring, and butcher whatever roosters I may get. Pullets will be used as replacements as the older hens slow down in production. These are my grand plans, anyway. We'll see how it REALLY goes.... [​IMG]

6. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Flock of about 86 here that grows, shrinks, grows, shrinks. Used to be about 20 just a year ago. [​IMG]

We breed, raise, butcher, and even show our own birds, most of the breeds are dual purpose, so there's always extra chicks for selling, meat, or flock improvement going on. . . [​IMG]

7. nuttyredhead

nuttyredhead Songster 8 Years

May 3, 2010
    Southern NH
    Trying!!! I have a broody on day 11!!!!

8. catdaddy66

catdaddy66 Songster

Nov 18, 2009
    Lugoff, SC
    I am, to the consternation of wife! I have 12 and ordered 20 more day old chicks coming 3/17! Have to build a warm outdoor brooder as wife won't let them inside.

9. heathersboers

heathersboers Songster

Dec 2, 2010
    wilson
    We have a flock of about 200- and hatching eggs everyday---sooooo- I guess until we have everything we want as far as breeds and all the colors- we will be chicken broke.... It is fun though!![​IMG]

10. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I was not planning on growing my flock at all. Honest. I was gonna stop at 13 (there's a reason for that, but it's too hard to explain). HA!

One pullet went broody, hatched a single chick. I bought an incubator for no particular reason, and then won an auction of hatching eggs here on BYC I didn't expect to win, and that's all it took. 6 of 7 incubated eggs hatched. I was hooked at that point, and have since hatched well over 30 chicks since. Another pullet went broody and hatched 4 chicks, but they cannot keep up with my incubation addiction.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by