How many of you are growing your flock?

trunkman

Songster
10 Years
Dec 26, 2009
Rock Hill SC
I started my flock a year ago with the intention of having about a dozen chickens, since then I discovered I really love chickens and started to increase my flock by incubating my own eggs, I just hatched 7 chicks and want lots more. I really don't know why but I just love gathering the eggs every day and enjoy their company. I find it very addictive and want more and just don't know when to stop. How about you, are you planning to grow your flock?
cool.png

You know it! We planning on adding 6 or so more to the laying flock and are thinking about raising some meaties this summer too. I don't think we are ready for hatching just yet though.

Larry

Yes I am! Im adding 3 Aussies and a dozen Buff Orps. Maybe a new duck....IDK. Im gonna cull some more doms too.....

I am thinking about adding some amerauacanas and marans to my flock of 30 hens. I would like to sell about 10 of mine and get 10 new ones.......hmmm, craigslist to the rescue???

I'm hoping to grow it in the spring, and then shrink it in the fall. I want to have a dual-purpose flock. Right now I have a Brahma rooster (almost the size of a small turkey), 2 SLWs, 2 production reds, 1 BO, 5 EEs, and a banty hen (she's there strictly for hatching purposes). I'm hoping to hatch out some eggs this spring, and butcher whatever roosters I may get. Pullets will be used as replacements as the older hens slow down in production. These are my grand plans, anyway. We'll see how it REALLY goes....
smile.png

Flock of about 86 here that grows, shrinks, grows, shrinks. Used to be about 20 just a year ago.
lol.png

We breed, raise, butcher, and even show our own birds, most of the breeds are dual purpose, so there's always extra chicks for selling, meat, or flock improvement going on. . .
smile.png

I am, to the consternation of wife! I have 12 and ordered 20 more day old chicks coming 3/17! Have to build a warm outdoor brooder as wife won't let them inside.

We have a flock of about 200- and hatching eggs everyday---sooooo- I guess until we have everything we want as far as breeds and all the colors- we will be chicken broke.... It is fun though!!
big_smile.png

I was not planning on growing my flock at all. Honest. I was gonna stop at 13 (there's a reason for that, but it's too hard to explain). HA!

One pullet went broody, hatched a single chick. I bought an incubator for no particular reason, and then won an auction of hatching eggs here on BYC I didn't expect to win, and that's all it took. 6 of 7 incubated eggs hatched. I was hooked at that point, and have since hatched well over 30 chicks since. Another pullet went broody and hatched 4 chicks, but they cannot keep up with my incubation addiction.

Back
Top Bottom