How many of you are growing your flock?

I started out with 3 chickens, 4 Pekin ducks. I sold the 4 ducks, and bought 4 silky ducks. Then I adopted 4 polish, and then I bought 12 more silky ducks...So, yes.
lol.png

I have about 75 hens and have order 25 more for may delivery. I plan on ordering about 25 -35 more again this fall for april or may. So I quess ya we plan on growing our flock. We have all kinds of breeds. As some one else said earlier when I get the colors and breeds I'm happy with I'll stop lol

LOL, Yes... It's an addiction! We started with 12 lost a few early on and now we're down to 8. They just started laying around Christmas and now we get about 4-6 eggs a day. Problem is, we eat them as fast as they lay them. So, I was just browsing online yesterday and decided to order 37 more! My wife thinks I'm crazy but I can't help it, I want lots of eggs!! I'm thinking of reducing the order by 15 just so it isn't so overwhelming, IDK?? Our coop and run will be just about maxed out so there will be no more if I decide not to change the order.

Quote:
Since you love eggs so much, I would stagger them so that you have different ages and then the egg laying years will be spread out.
Maybe 10 this year, 10 next and so on?
smile.png

The eggs are delicious, aren't they?!

Start chicken farming 1 year ago. I started with 6, Now I have 14 chickens, and 4 chicks. And Im getting 12+ silver laced cochin eggs in the mail, and Ill collecting eggs from my coop until thuresday to stick in the bator so about 24 eggs from my coop ( out of 24, 10 are likely to be fertile) so that makes 12+10= 24 new chicks around.... though its a estimate. Not sure hw many will hatch but if Im close my this spring ill have 42 chicks/chickens.... And by then ill most likely have broodies with they will get possibly 10 to hatch.....

tongue.png
I love chickens!

started with 8-5 roos and 3 hens-down to 4
next year 50+
now 100+

Im drawing the line at that number though!!.... maybe
hide.gif

I have 60 eggs going in bator this week
th.gif

Last edited:
I started with 12, because I thought I would lose some...didn't lose any but did cull a roo that was hounding the hens and tearing them up. So now have 11 hens and I want about 12 SLW's. That will give me 6 Buff O's, 5 RIR's and SLW's...I think that will be a very pretty flock. Today I started thinking about a turkey...but how could I have just one? So that means a pair...
barnie.gif
I have got to stop coming here!

I started with 17 straight run BO. Then I found out that Meyer Hatchery was right around the corner from my house. It was all down hill from then on. Bought a lot of petty chickies and a bator. Now I have 1 big coop and 3 smaller breeding coops. I have around 50 birds and 14 in bator.

I starting with two, knowing I would add one or two more. Today I picked up 2 Easter Eggers from a family that had to give them up.
My husband said "We've got them all now right?" Um...maybe?

It truly is an addiction.

Back
Top Bottom