1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How many of you vaccinate against Mareks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by harleyjo, Oct 10, 2010.

1. harleyjo

harleyjo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2010
    SW Iowa
    Just curious if you get your chicks vaccinated or vaccinate yourself if you hatch your own?

2. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm Premium Member

I dont.

3. Pat Sands

Pat Sands New Egg

Oct 10, 2010
    I do not. I raise my chickens as naturally as possible.

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Never have, don't plan to.

5. D'Angelo N Va.

D'Angelo N Va. Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    I use medicated starter/grower. I have been told it makes the immune system strong to fight against things i.e marek's disease. I had gotten them vaccinated if I brougth them, but I was wondering the same thing one day....hmmmm what happens when my hens hatch them. I don't give any shots..so I posted the question and I was told by numerous ppl. on BYC to use medicated....

6. Luke13:34

Luke13:34 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2010
    The Naugatuck Valley
    I did not and won't on any future chicks. I did use medicated feed, but I think for subsequent chickens I will use all organic.

7. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    I do, but I also show my birds, and Lord knows what they are exposed to...if I didn't show, I probably wouldn't...

8. keeko

keeko Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2009
    Asheville, NC
    I try to raise my chickens as organically as possible - soy-free organic feed, my organic vegetable scraps, organic oatmeal and yogurt, you name it. They eat better than most PEOPLE do. And YES I did vaccinate - against Marek's and for Coccidiosis. I figured this was better than the medicated feed, and I had the hatchery do it when I bought them as day-olds.

I figure, I'm going to raise my kids on good, organic food - but I'm still going to vaccinate them for polio and hepatitis.

9. Eglyntine

Eglyntine Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2010
    Reno/Sparks Area, NV
    I just ordered 15 chicks from Ideal and I had them vax'd for Mareks. It was not that costly so I had it done. I am typically not a vaccination person, I do not have my children vax'd and the only reason I had my dogs vax'd is it is the law in my county. Going forward I will be breeding and hatching out my own birds so I will have to do some research on it some more before I decide.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2010
  10. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    I don't and never plan to. Survival of the fittest, not most drug-packed. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by