How many of you vaccinate against Mareks?

I use medicated starter/grower. I have been told it makes the immune system strong to fight against things i.e marek's disease. I had gotten them vaccinated if I brougth them, but I was wondering the same thing one day....hmmmm what happens when my hens hatch them. I don't give any shots..so I posted the question and I was told by numerous ppl. on BYC to use medicated....

I try to raise my chickens as organically as possible - soy-free organic feed, my organic vegetable scraps, organic oatmeal and yogurt, you name it. They eat better than most PEOPLE do. And YES I did vaccinate - against Marek's and for Coccidiosis. I figured this was better than the medicated feed, and I had the hatchery do it when I bought them as day-olds.

I figure, I'm going to raise my kids on good, organic food - but I'm still going to vaccinate them for polio and hepatitis.

I just ordered 15 chicks from Ideal and I had them vax'd for Mareks. It was not that costly so I had it done. I am typically not a vaccination person, I do not have my children vax'd and the only reason I had my dogs vax'd is it is the law in my county. Going forward I will be breeding and hatching out my own birds so I will have to do some research on it some more before I decide.

Last edited:
I don't and never plan to. Survival of the fittest, not most drug-packed.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom