How many Pekin eggs will fit in a Little Giant?

Dipsy Doodle Doo

ODD BIRD
13 Years
Jan 11, 2007
Aiken, South Carolina 29801
My Coop
My Coop
Hi!
The answer is 48!

17_dsc00957.jpg

Kind of overwhelming, I've never set more than 10 at a time here.
Wish them luck!
smile.png

Lisa

Hi Shelley! I haven't tried turning them yet, just set them this afternoon. They're packed in pretty tight. Should be easier after I candle the first time. There are some older eggs (from 1/5) in there that are probably non-viable.
I have someone that *says* they will buy all the Pekin ducklings I can hatch. I sure hope they don't flake on me --- just the thought of brooding 40-something ducklings is daunting.

edited to add: Hahaha! Hubby just saw that pic and said "I sure hope I don't *accidentally* trip over the cord and *accidentally* unplug that bator".
Followed immediately by "You know I'd never do that, hon. The two things that stop me are fear and common sense." I can't imagine what he means by that!

smile.png

Lisa

Last edited:
Quote:
Hmmm...you carry a billy-club on your side don't you?
wink.png

I would think if you have a vaporizer, you could make a 'tent' over it and the bator for the humidity, then just tilt the whole bator? If you do have to brood ducklings, use the equine pellet bedding, it is AMAZING!! I have some in my ducklings brooders (finally) and the wetter it gets, the better it smells! Plus it dries on its own, you just need to fluff it up once in a while. Eventually you would have to dump it to get the poo out, but I can't believe I've spent $30+ on puppy pads when these work so well! I'm thinking of using these in my chicks and everything!! Good luck on your hatch, and I hope the guy doesn't back out on you!
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom