How many people eat there chickens on this form

AlienChick
I like your MY PAGE
smile.png

we will. generally after about two years we will cull the flock and start from scratch. We eat our own cows too. We also eat our own deer, elk and fish (although they are really not ours till the license is purchased, but we sure do feed the deer), and we also eat our own vegetables. We used to raise sheep, and I have heard that goats are pretty good but never tried it. And just so you don't think we are complete neanderthals, we did NOT eat our horses, dogs or cats...

We do strongly believe that god has placed these creatures on this earth for the benefit of us and other predators, so we oblige by taking great care of them, and giving a great deal of care during the culling process. We thank God every meal for the bounty and knowledge he has provided us, and ask that he continue to do so.

Meat birds generally are not good egg producers and have a larger build than layers. The cornish X were specifically bread to have large meaty frames, but are kind of dull birds really. They sure do develop a good carcass though, my mother raised a batch and they were very good. We choose multi purpose birds if possible so we get the best of both worlds, although at two years layers are not good for much more than chicken soup. They get pretty tough. We have talked about raising meat birds, but don't want to have a separate coop right now.

Kinda strange that folks will eat a chicken sandwich at McDonalds, or a bag of boneless breasts at the store and then scoff at us for eating a bird that we loved, cared for, fed, nurtured, and quietly and calmly cull. Never could really figure that out...

Last edited:
Quote:
THIS ^^^^^^^^^ Couldn't have stated it better myself!
thumbsup.gif

I've raised the CX also, in much the same way I raise my layer flock, and found it to be a good investment~put over 100 lbs of good, free ranged chicken in the freezer from 20 birds.

We raise dual purpose birds, and eat the extra roosters. It is sometimes sad deciding who gets to stay and who must go. If the rooster was rough with the hens or a menace it is easier to cull, and I know the bird had a better life than a commercially produced chicken.

I have dual purpose breeds and we are planning on eating all but two of the roosters when they get a bit older.

I have not had to make that decision yet, but it has always been a strong No Way will I eat an old layer. I feel that they worked too hard all their short lives to end up being chased down on their last day of life only to meet a cleaver. I will let them die of old age, however I would end their misery in the event they die of illness. I had a rooster die a few weeks ago and I cried and cried and I could not believe that I had allowed my self to become emotional about a chicken. I have read on this website how a lot of you users write about your birds as if they were relatives and I thought to my self, " these people are overboard, how can they get so involved in a chicken and talk about them as if they were children?". Well I understand now and I am sorry for judging you all. My rooster was a life with a personality and I bonded with him. I know now that I could never kill an old layer.

We eat our chickens and also raise beef cows! YUM! I like being able to provide healthy home grown meat for my family. They are after all more important then the animals.

This is our first year to keep chickens, we aren't going to eat any of these chickens ,going to keep them for eggs and try to build another coop for meat birds by spring

Back
Top Bottom