How many people here like Buff Orpingtons?

I have four BO's that are about 11 months old now. I never had chickens before so wanted really docile, friendly birds. They are fabulous!

Here is a pic of them when they were about 4 months old. They are even bigger now.
18671_pict2504.jpg

edited to say, I think they were closer to 5 months old. Their wattles developed right before they started laying, which was around 20 weeks.

Last edited:
love love love them... my hens are so graceful and lovely... great layers and i cant get enough of their reserved personalities. i have some other ridiculous hens... but the buffs are just lovely. as they are grazing on the hillside their shape reminds me of sailing ships.

Wow so many nice things to say about them. I really am excited now. They are gorgeous hens from the photos Ive seen here and in other places. I love large birds just as much as I do the small ones. I just need to find someone in my area that has them now. I dont like buying from hatcheries.

There was someone near Harriman that I got mine from but I believe they sold all their babies last week. I will make sure but if they have any left they would be about 5 weeks old
hmm.png
Buff Orpingtons were the breed I decided I wanted when I first started looking into chickens and ended up getting 3 sex links before I found my orphington girls. I have 5 total but one has a bum leg and will most likely always be an indoor girl. You could probably get some good hatching eggs from someone here on BYC if you had an incubator or broody hen. I know you can get an incubator from Coop and Tractor Supply for around $30 to $40 . . .

There is also the bird show in Cocke County next weekend (May 2nd) You might be able to get some nice, non-hatchery orpingtons there. I think Judging starts at 9am on that Saturday . . .

Here is the link to the thread on that show, I know you are in TN but I don't know how far away from Cocke County you are.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=159684

Good Luck finding some Orpingtons!! Mine are fabulous so far !!

Back
Top Bottom