How Many PET Chickens Are In Your Flock?

How many chickens?

• Only 1. They are my feathered cat.😊

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I have a pair of 2.🙂

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I have 3.🙃

Votes: 13 6.5%
  • I have a small flock of 4-5

Votes: 20 10.0%
  • I have a flock of 6-10 birds. Not too many, not too little.

Votes: 56 27.9%
  • I have 10-20 birds. Keeping it realistic.😌

Votes: 54 26.9%
  • I have 20-30 birds!

Votes: 16 8.0%
  • I have 30-40 chickens! Lots of eggs, lots of types, or both!

Votes: 12 6.0%
  • 40-50 chickens! I keep a big flock!

Votes: 4 2.0%
  • 50-80 chickens! Wow! 😍

Votes: 5 2.5%
  • 80-100, You keep em as Pets?! How do you keep track of names?!

Votes: 2 1.0%
  • 100+ THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS TOO MANY CHICKENS!😃😍

Votes: 11 5.5%
  • I don’t keep any pet chickens.

Votes: 6 3.0%

• Total voters
King Joop is a stunner!

I have a porcelain guy and he is my favorite! He looks and sounds like he is wearing a dress because I usually hear his little pants rustling when he is poking around nearby. He also chatters a lot. I have mostly quit watching TV in favor of watching my chickens. I also have a running list in my head of which chicken likes what treats. It's ridiculous.

I think my chickens are pets!
No it’s not ridiculous at all! I think it is just wonderful! Much more healthy than watching tv. Lowers stress and anxiety and brings your blood pressure weigh down. I know it does for me. I lost both my parents in 2019. I am an only child but was 50 years old yet I was so close to my parents. I have grieved hard. Having started my backyard flock this year has been the best thing for that grief and me that I could have ever done. TMI I know but it’s is true. I love them crazy thangs!

No it’s not ridiculous at all! I think it is just wonderful! Much more healthy than watching tv. Lowers stress and anxiety and brings your blood pressure weigh down. I know it does for me. I lost both my parents in 2019. I am an only child but was 50 years old yet I was so close to my parents. I have grieved hard. Having started my backyard flock this year has been the best thing for that grief and me that I could have ever done. TMI I know but it’s is true. I love them crazy thangs!

So sorry for your loss. 🥺

I, too, lost my Mom in 2019 and find chickens are a delightful way to find peace and happiness that I hadn't found before. Chickies really are amazing antidepressants 😏

How do you define PET?
Chickens that are not meant for meat, and eggs aren’t their only purpose, meaning you don’t plan to give em away when they slow down production. They are kept for company, and possibly have names.
In other words, they aren’t just working birds, and you care bout them.
Someone said that if you consider them pets, or not is how you should judge and I agree. If you feel like they are work birds, then that’s what they are. If think of them as pets they are.

So we started with an assortment and it was cheapest to get at least 15.

But I'm impatient and we wanted eggs so we got 8 started pullets too.

Then once we knew what breeds we liked best we obviously had to get a group of those.

And it wasn't long before we realized we wanted hens to raise chicks so in came the silkies.

Chicken math is real. :idunno

Current total? 46 very spoiled small dinosaurs.

Chicken math is real. :idunno

Current total? 46 very spoiled small dinosaurs.
They run like raptors from Jurassic Park!😂 I like to spoil mine to! Lots and lots of treats! I started with 10,
Lost one, got another, got a rooster, planned to get 10 more, but last second added 5 more. Got a hen broody in the process to raise them then “accidentally” hatched 2 eggs. Current total: 28

I have somewhere around 20-30. All are pets, if anything serious happens I bring them to the vet just like I would with my dog.

And they ALL have names, when I see them I immediately remember their name.
I name mine to! I have:

1. T-Rex
  2. Millie
  3. Pumpkin
  4. Firefly
  5. Stella
  6. Summer
  7. Clover
  8. Paprika
  9. Pumpkin
  10. Midnight
  11. Cloe
  12. Pine
  13. Delta
  14. Sparkie
  15. Friday
  16. Salt
  17. Pepper
  18. Ellie
  19. Saturday
  20. Sunday
  21. Joop
  22. Stripe
  23. Autumn
  24. Sprinkle
  25. Avery
  26. June
  27. July
  28. Vivian

Started with Florence and Jagger. Jagger was a butthead and moved on to a nearby farm.
Got 3 more girls; mrs brown, leia and ola.
then got 2 little bantams; Sylvia and Edgar.
then got crystal and black Betty.
Sylvia and Edgar made Nugget.
last week we added Broody/fluffy mcfluffybutt

i want more Pekins. And silkies. And frizzles. 😏

Back
Top Bottom