How Many PET Chickens Are In Your Flock?

How many chickens?

• Only 1. They are my feathered cat.😊

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I have a pair of 2.🙂

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I have 3.🙃

Votes: 13 6.5%
  • I have a small flock of 4-5

Votes: 20 10.0%
  • I have a flock of 6-10 birds. Not too many, not too little.

Votes: 56 27.9%
  • I have 10-20 birds. Keeping it realistic.😌

Votes: 54 26.9%
  • I have 20-30 birds!

Votes: 16 8.0%
  • I have 30-40 chickens! Lots of eggs, lots of types, or both!

Votes: 12 6.0%
  • 40-50 chickens! I keep a big flock!

Votes: 4 2.0%
  • 50-80 chickens! Wow! 😍

Votes: 5 2.5%
  • 80-100, You keep em as Pets?! How do you keep track of names?!

Votes: 2 1.0%
  • 100+ THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS TOO MANY CHICKENS!😃😍

Votes: 11 5.5%
  • I don’t keep any pet chickens.

Votes: 6 3.0%

• Total voters
Pics
I would love to see a picture
Here is my porcelain! He is always ready to show off whether anyone is impressed or not is personally irrelevant to him 🤣

I am slightly ashamed that I would have to choose the first selection on the poll that votes in chickens as feathered cats. Sad but true nonetheless. They pretty much own me.
:idunno
20200807_021002.jpg

We ordered 11 chicks 9 weeks ago, initially intending them just to be little egg and meat producers. I certainly wasn't planning on making them pets and thought I'd have no problem slaughtering them when the time came. Cut to 10 days later, when the first chick (who we found out is actually the rooster) fell asleep in the palm of my hand, and I just fell in love. Now I can't imagine getting rid of any of them for any reason (unless one of them gets irreversibly mean after they mature). Only a few have names, so far, but I fully expect all 11 of them to have names by the time they reach point of lay.

We ordered 11 chicks 9 weeks ago, initially intending them just to be little egg and meat producers. I certainly wasn't planning on making them pets and thought I'd have no problem slaughtering them when the time came. Cut to 10 days later, when the first chick (who we found out is actually the rooster) fell asleep in the palm of my hand, and I just fell in love. Now I can't imagine getting rid of any of them for any reason (unless one of them gets irreversibly mean after they mature).
:lau I had the exact same thing with my rabbits. :love

:lau I had the exact same thing with my rabbits. :love
Funny thing is, we're also looking at getting rabbits, but I have no problem using them for meat; not the buck and doe, of course, but their kits are fair game. The way I see it, by the time the first litter is ready for market, either as pets or as meat, the doe should be almost ready to birth her next litter. Of course rabbits are adorable, but I don't see myself getting as attached by just watching the younglings hop around as I have been watching my chooks grow up.

I have 10 hens and 5 roosters. I know, seems like a lot, but they get along just fine with the exception of the occasional face offs. In fact, when two of the roos are fighting another one will break up the fight. 😂 All of our 15 chickens are named, and they all have different personalities. This thread has inspired me to create a Meet Our Chickens thread, so thank you!

Back
Top Bottom