how many pigeons and chickens can i put in my coop/loft

samas

In the Brooder
6 Years
Feb 7, 2013
johannesburg ,South Africa
i currently have 4 cochin bantams, 2 crossbreeds and 1 sebright in there with 13 birmingham roller pigeons.my loft is about 2.5 meters high 1.6 meters wide and 2.6 meters long.the pigeons are all ontop and the chickens on the bottom.ive calculated it and it comes out to 36+ square feet.all my birds live happily and ive not had problems so far.i would like to get a 5 more rollers as i still have two nest boxes empty and a roller hen without a mate.id also like to get like two sebright hens and 3 silkies but dont wanna cause any problems,what are my limitations based on my coop

your rollers would be fine in something the size of a walk in closet or small garden shed, hopefully getting out to fly too though. im not familiar with sebrights personally, but cochins and silkies should do fine with them and each other, though i had some silkies from show stock breeder, that one was terribly mean. unless you feed pigeons main or only food in evening, so they do majority of pooping on rosts or just out of nests at night, you may have your chickens pooped all over.. lol my cochins seemed to handle confinement fine, as did the silkies.

cool !thanks laughing dog i really appreciate the info, ive decided to pair my pigeons up myself instead of them,so ive got 2 black pairs, a brown pair, a slate grey pair, a silver pair and a cream roller with a white speckled one and a white roller that ill pair up soon ive locked them all up in there nest boxes and dont let them out its the first time im trying this in your opinion will it work and if so how long till they are paired

WOW I didn't know you could keep them together. I have them right next to the pigeon coop but I separated the open chicken wire wall with a plastic table cloth because I was afraid of them getting each other sick! I have 9 roller pigeons and way too many chickens LOL. I have just started keeping bantams but I have a small nursery area for them because the big chickens try to beat them up! I love forums!!!!

ive found that oddly some of my rollers that dont fly well at all let alone roll well, were late bloomers, or for some reason producing some great flying rollers. so im not sure how to tell you to pair them, though color mating will make easier to keep track of lines you want to experiment breeding. on the pairing it works best to make so your pairs cannot see to even hear other pigeons they maybe interested in, for a week to a month. i dont let them mix till i know i have two fertile eggs after a week from lay growing good (if not i toss the eggs and let them try to make two more fertile ones). having only one chick from odd numbered hatching groups seems to create enough trouble, id rather toss an odd egg to even the number out. also to maximize production of meat or flying birds, you can put two nests for each female pigeon, and they will then lay again about as soon as the squeakers are two weeks old, then they will lay again in first nest when second set of squeakers is about two weeks (still caring for older squeakers, so dont worry theyll abandon any slow growers).

I am new to the forum but wanted to let you know I am thankful for your input. We have an abandoned pigeon coop and 2 adolescent chickens. Sounds like I can put them in there and they will do just fine? We also have a large Mews/Aviary but I was thinking the pigeon coup was more appropriate. We are wanting to move them from the chicken wire cage they are in now, not sure why.

Back
Top Bottom