how many pounds of feed do your chicks eat a week

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by blueseal, Apr 30, 2009.

1. blueseal

blueseal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2008
    WALDOBORO MAINE
    i have 17, 4 week olds and they have eaten about 20lbs of chick starter crumbles this week. give or take. they waste alot too .[​IMG][​IMG]

2. RendonRoo

RendonRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    ft. worth
    Thats about how much my 17 chicks eat. But they are about 2mts old. I would try to cut down on waste. It's gonna get real expensive when they get bigger. Good Luck.

3. briteday

briteday Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Northern NV
    Four weeks, 18 chicks (but 6 are silkies, don't eat much) and have gone through less than 10 pounds. I don't let them waste anything. If I find lots of stuff at the bottom of the brooder when I'm cleaning it out they get to pick way at it until it's cleaned up.

I use a disposable incontinence pad at the bottom, then a sheet or two of newspaper, covered by paper shreds (from the office shredder at work). I only use a bit of shreds at the end of the brooder where the feeders are. I put their roost bar on the floor to hold back the bedding. I use the typical round mason jar feeder, put it in a pie pan to prevent loss from billing out, and put it up on a brick as the birds get taller. There is very little waste in the brooder.

4. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    I feed aboud 60 pounds of chick starter a week. HOWEVER... I have Cornish Rocks that are eating the majority of it.

5. EricShane

EricShane Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    SouthWestern Ohio
    i have 53 babies in the brooder right now, and more in the bator! they go through quite a bit of food really quick.. I think thats about all I get done during the day is feeding and watering them.. lol

6. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    I'm not sure how many chickens I have but I feed about 250 pounds per week.

7. TammyTX

TammyTX Overrun With Chickens

Feb 16, 2009
    Texas
    I have about 50 ten week olds and they eat 50lbs a week, plus they have a yard to eat grass (not many bugs) and we feed treats.

At $13 a bag I'm looking forward to sending a few to the freezer!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by