How many pullets do you need per cockerel?+ cockerel hormones?

ForTheLoveOfSilkies

Free Ranging
Aug 18, 2019
Australia
Question:
When do cockerel hormones calm down a bit? at 1 year old? - so he would stop constantly mating around that age?
Question:
How many pullets do you need to have per cockerel? And when they turn 1 yr old, become a rooster, (or whatever time they calm down) can you just have 1 pullet with him since he's calmed down?

I currently have a cockerel in a separate coop because he was overmating one of my pullets (like every few minutes he was after her! poor girl!) and she would run to my roo if he was nearby or to me to hide from him.
I felt bad that he is on his own so I put 2 pullets with him, but should I just have him on his own rather then have 1 or 2 pullets with him due to cockerel's raging hormones?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

I have 16 hens/pullets with my 1 rooster to prevent over mating.
My sister had 50 hens/pullets with 3 roosters to prevent over mating.
They will "calm" down a little bit as they age but if they have 1-2 hens per rooster, they will still be over mated. I think 10-12 would be a good number of hens per rooster.

I have 16 hens/pullets with my 1 rooster to prevent over mating.
My sister had 50 hens/pullets with 3 roosters to prevent over mating.
They will "calm" down a little bit as they age but if they have 1-2 hens per rooster, they will still be over mated. I think 10-12 would be a good number of hens per rooster.
Wow! That many hens per roo!
I keep 4 with my roo at mo and 2 with my cockerel... My roo never has overmated my hens even when I have 3 with him. My cockerels approach is constant mating.. Even though after 1 mate with a hen can lay fertile eggs for 2 weeks!! So why mate same hen every 10mins!!!???

There are no magic numbers.

The 'rooster' to hen ratio of 1:10 that is often cited is primarily for fertility efficiency in commercial breeding facilities.

It doesn't mean that if a cockbird has 10 hens that he won't abuse or over mate them.

Many breeders keep pairs, trios, quads, etc ....short term and/or long term.

It all depends on the temperaments of the cock and hens and sometimes housing provided.

Backyard flocks can achieve good fertility with a larger ratio.

Back
Top Bottom