How many quail do you keep?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Bribaby, Mar 9, 2011.

1. Bribaby

Bribaby Out Of The Brooder

Feb 27, 2011
    So Cal
    How many quail do you keep? I think I went a little overboard, and I have a little under 200 eggs in the incubator... plus 24 adults... I'm very much concidering keeping all that hatch, all 190 of them! (yes, 190 will hatch, and I don't want to hear otherwise!! [​IMG] , and yes, I do know better.... but I like to think possitively) Anyways, I'm thinking of keeping a few in breeding cages, and the rest in a coop/run type enclosure... Is there such a thing as too many?

2. Whitehouse Quail

Whitehouse Quail Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    Michigan
    Is there any such thing as too many?

Mm, nope. Wait!

Yeah, still no.

3. _Randall_

_Randall_ Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2009
    Grenada, Ms
    Quote:Not here. There's such thing as "not enough" when it comes to room to put'em on this hill, though.

4. Fat Daddy

Fat Daddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Ks
    brood'in is where I have space issues, once I get'em past 5-6 weeks, we're good... 190 would be a challenge. lots of totes or a Randall type brooder....

5. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    kina depends on what week it is here I have then single file marching right to my freezer here LOL

6. Fat Daddy

Fat Daddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Ks
    Quote:That's funny right there....

7. _Randall_

_Randall_ Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2009
    Grenada, Ms
    Quote:[​IMG] I'm witcha there, my friend. My "wash room" is the birthplace and broodinq quarters for the little fellers, then down to the tractor shed / quail-pen shed for maturity, theeeeen..........back to the "wash room" where they go to freezer camp in the big chest-type. They reside onthe left side, and deer steaks reside on ther right.

8. Rozzie

Rozzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    I've got about 50, all adults. 20 coturnix & 30 button quail. As the natural course of time thins the button quail, I'll only keep a few pair of those in the future -- about 4 pair, probably.

9. Robo

Robo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    To be honest I don't know. If you count chicks I'm full of them. I was floating between 100 and 200 last year, no idea now. I added 4 colony pens since then and three of them are full. The fourth is about there. Plus I have way too many in the grow out pens... That is coturnix, I'm a little short on bobwhites at the moment though.[​IMG]

10. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    I've got enough, that's all I can say. Got three more pens today [​IMG] so a lot...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by