How many rabbits do you consume per year?

Wow... that's nearly 1 a week. Do you raise them all yourself?

I really need to try a good rabbit. Last one I ate was in survival training (military) over a camp fire in the woods. We were so hungry... anything would have tasted good.

If the family likes it... I would happily consider raising some.

Cheers!

We raise rabbits - eat at least twice a week. I can use rabbit in nearly all my chicken recipes (one fave is bunny cacciatore), and the meat is lower in fat and cholesterol.

Rabbit pot pie, rabbit fricassee, rabbit stew, rabbit and dumplings, Hasenpfeffer, fried rabbit a la Kentucky style, rabbit provencale, rabbit in red wine, - the list is long, never have to get bored with rabbit!

So, we have 3 does and 2 bucks. 3-4 litters per year, 7-9 per litter, lots of babies!

We are just now getting back into rabbits, but when we raised them before we ate around three per week. So 156 per year average, put usually a bit more because if we have company for dinner (About twice a month, Terra would double the amount she cooks and if we were having rabbit there would be more of them cooked that night.

I have one boiling now that I will transfere to a roasting pan, cover in a mixture of sour cream, cream of chicken soup, spices, and bake for time required. Absolutely delicious - fixed most any way. Have them probably 36 to 48 times a year.

I guess if they are tasty... the quantity eaten would be similar to chicken or other proteins.

Does rabbit cook similarly to chicken? Does rabbit resemble chicken in taste at all? Or is it more gamey like venison?

Thanks for sharing!

I guess it would depend on the age of the rabbit. I have only had it stewed or French style w/ mustard and wine. It was DELISH. If I had access to rabbit and had the guts to slaughter one, I would have it every week.

I personally do not find them gamey at ALL. Could be the way it was cooked but I feel it taste better than chicken.
hide.gif

Nancy
Quote:

Quote:
Tame rabbit is not at all gamey tasting and can be used in place of chicken in most recipes. We have it fried, in dumplings, stir-fry, roasted, bar-b-qed, about the same as any of the chicken dishes.

It taste like rabbit, not chicken, but it's a good taste, to our family anyway.

Back
Top Bottom