How many really wash eggs just before use?

Oh thank you Casey3043, if we had more of you and your 92 year old mother's approach I wouldn't be dealing with so many children with special dietary needs.

How do people think the human race actually survived until now? Have we been washing eggs and vegatables since the beginning of time?

I never wash my eggs. Have never had a poopie egg...My eggs are spotless when I gather them. Besides, a little bit of germs are good for you, builds up the immune system.

I think Monk might wash his eggs.
big_smile.png
I dont wash my eggs. I have never heard of anyone getting sick from not washing an egg. Our grand parents and great great grand parents didnt wash their eggs...clear back to Adam and Eve. Washing eggs is a "New" thing.

My risk of getting sick is much much higher if i touch a walmart grocery cart. Just walking into a public place is where you are going to get sick. Besides doesnt everyone have that Chicken poop chap stick that they use that is made of pure chicken poo??
lol.png

Quote:
Don't get me started on people who sterilized baby toys! It is the same concept. We need to take those germs in to become immunized to them. I was discussing this at work and had one workmate ask me how many children I had and how many I started with!

Back to eggs, unless you eat them raw, it seems to me to be a non-issue. I would wash my hand (soap and warm water) while I'm cooking and preparing food anyway.

All those women who carry purses and who are so picky about chicken poop from their own presumably healthy chickens should read this--

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Health/Story?id=2283311

Gives a whole new grossness quotient!

We never wash our eggs. We do knock off the "dirt"
tongue.png
if it's a big piece, but just store them in the frig as is. Have never gotten sick from one yet, and we've been eating/using our eggs for the last 20 years.

Two comments: If the egg is thoroughly cooked to over 165 degrees you are going to be ok (and saute oil or hot butter for fried egg certainly is way over this) so I actually dont bother cleaning them much at all unless really caked with poop for asthetic reasons more than anything (obviously WASH YOUR HANDS when cooking anything as this is the more common way of getting ill by cross contamination).

Second comment by a Mexican lady who I sell eggs to when I mentioned that the eggs are not sterile/clean 'No problem...I eat the inside, not the outside"

Lee

Back
Top Bottom