How many really wash eggs just before use?

BCMominMD

Songster
10 Years
Mar 12, 2009
Southern Md
I have been putting my eggs in the frig when I collect them. They have been clean. Then I just crack them and use them cooked in some way.
So am I the only one who doesn't wash my eggs?

I'm with 'underground chickenman', don't wash them at all! If they have a bit of gunge wipe it off with a damp cloth/tissue. don't be so bloody paranoid, unless you are selling your eggs professionally of course. The shells are porous and if your eggs are regularly sitting in gunge then that is what you will be eating. Keep the nests clean and dry and your eggs will be fine without washing.

I apologize if this seems harsh but as a special needs teacher aide I have a lot of contact with children that have all sorts of food allergies and I tend to believe that it correlates to how precious their parents have been with what they put in their mouths and when.

I will hop of my soapbox and go to bed now, goodnight all and please forgive my wayward tongue if I have given any offence.

I dont was them unless they are really dirty ... Grosses my folks out but I know what they eat , where they sleep., and where I got the egg from so I dont worry ...

I might give them a quick rinse when muddy, but that's it.

ETA, and I NEVER use soap or bleach. Egg shells are porous and absorb anything like that!

Last edited:
Seems to me washing them is a good idea, so I must ask y'all why you don't wash them?

In the tiny microbe world, a chicken coop and run are filthy.

Our's aren't laying yet, but we will definitely wash the eggs when they start.

The hen puts a bloom on the egg for a reason. If that is good enough to protect a developing chick then it should be good enough to keep the bad bacteria out for the most part.
We don't wash the egg unless it is 'dirty'. I try to keep the nests supplied with fresh bedding so that they are clean upon collection.

Back
Top Bottom