How many roos do I have? And what kind of chicken is this?

RazzbarryHen

Hatching
6 Years
Aug 27, 2013
Massachusetts
I have 5 chickens that are 10 weeks old. They were all supposed to be pullets but my barred rock started crowing 3 days ago. Not much of a learning curve either...

I have been concerned about 3 of them for some time.

Also, one of my chickens was supposed to be a golden laced brahma but clearly is not... It never remotely resembled a golden laced brahma, but does have a few feathers on her legs... Does anyone have any idea what she might be? (please let her be a pullet because I'm pretty sure she is one of only 2!) The one I am questioning regarding breed is the all black one.

So, lets see if I can pull this off...

This is Posey. Pullet? What breed? I think she is very pretty! She looks a little Lanshan (which to count for the feathered legs) but her head looks kinda Americauna... Her hackle feathers look different from all the others... fluffier.

This is Posey along with Maisy who is supposed to be a Silver Laced Wyandotte. Roo or Pullet?

This is Rose who I'm pretty confident is a pullet. Buff Orpington

Next is Scarlet, the R.I. Red. Is she a roo? She's smaller, but has a large comb.

And finally we have Laurence, the rooster formerly known as Laura, the Barred Rock with the well developed crow... He is so beautiful and has always been the largest. I wish I could keep him but since I'm not supposed to even have chickens, he will have to go...

It's a lot harder to take pictures of chickens than I thought....

Any ideas? Thanks!

10 weeks? The only pullet is the one you suspect. Pullets don't show this much red comb and wattles, but cockerels do.

Posey head does look like an easter egger / ameraucana, if he isn't a brahma mix, with the feathered legs I wonder if he is mixed with a black marans to try and make olive eggers.

Rose is a female. The rest are roosters. You say they were supposed to be pullets, I'd sure be going back to that seller and having them make it right. A mistake here or there is understandable, this is just absurd.

Oh,
welcome-byc.gif

Rose is a female. The rest are roosters. You say they were supposed to be pullets, I'd sure be going back to that seller and having them make it right. A mistake here or there is understandable, this is just absurd.

Oh,
welcome-byc.gif
Totally agree with this. Time and again there are people out there who go offloading their excess roosters onto unsuspecting newcomers to chickens. It's not right! Hope you get a good outcome from this.

Totally agree with this. Time and again there are people out there who go offloading their excess roosters onto unsuspecting newcomers to chickens. It's not right! Hope you get a good outcome from this.

Yes, I went to a " so called " breeder and trusted him, when he told me that he head breeding for 10 years, that he was selling me a hen and a roo. " Wrong " 2 x Roos . I didn't take them back, cause I knew he'd just wring their necks. But I've had many people ask me about his credentials since. I simply tell them that I will never buy another bird from him. The up side is that they really are lovely little guys and they will live there days out on inlet farm.

Thanks for all the replies although I am sick about the fact that I have 4 roos.

I can't believe we put this much energy into these beautiful birds only to have to get rid of 4 of them! The small local hatchery fortunately has a "rooster exchange policy". I will probably have to take advantage of it but I really wish there was an alternative. Not sure I'll be able to find anyone who wants 4 roosters. And, of course, I will also have to find a companion for Rose... Laurence is out there crowing his little heart out as we speak (at 5:51 am).

I have wanted chickens for so long!!!!

Thanks for all the replies although I am sick about the fact that I have 4 roos.

I can't believe we put this much energy into these beautiful birds only to have to get rid of 4 of them! The small local hatchery fortunately has a "rooster exchange policy". I will probably have to take advantage of it but I really wish there was an alternative. Not sure I'll be able to find anyone who wants 4 roosters. And, of course, I will also have to find a companion for Rose... Laurence is out there crowing his little heart out as we speak (at 5:51 am).

I have wanted chickens for so long!!!!

Take advantage of the exchange policy. Any roosters that you get rid of will probably go for meat, but you can try posting them on Craigslist. My cockerels that I list on CL often go for meat, but I would say a good half of them go to people looking for a flock rooster. And I agree with the others, you can have sexing mistakes, but this percentage is way too high.

I know lots of other people have answered your post, but I just wanted to add my opinions:
I have 5 chickens that are 10 weeks old. They were all supposed to be pullets but my barred rock started crowing 3 days ago. Not much of a learning curve either...

I have been concerned about 3 of them for some time.

Also, one of my chickens was supposed to be a golden laced brahma but clearly is not... It never remotely resembled a golden laced brahma, but does have a few feathers on her legs... Does anyone have any idea what she might be? (please let her be a pullet because I'm pretty sure she is one of only 2!) The one I am questioning regarding breed is the all black one.

So, lets see if I can pull this off...

This is Posey. Pullet? What breed? I think she is very pretty! She looks a little Lanshan (which to count for the feathered legs) but her head looks kinda Americauna... Her hackle feathers look different from all the others... fluffier.
Black Easter Egger or Ameraucana cockerel. A pullet of the same age wouldn't have as red a comb.

This is Posey along with Maisy who is supposed to be a Silver Laced Wyandotte. Roo or Pullet?

Silver-Laced Wyandotte cockerel. You can tell based on comb development and coloring--Male SLWs have blotchy white coloring on their wings, while pullets are more evenly laced.

This is Rose who I'm pretty confident is a pullet. Buff Orpington
Buff Orpington pullet.

Next is Scarlet, the R.I. Red. Is she a roo? She's smaller, but has a large comb.
Rhode Island Red cockerel. Female RIRs of the same age have smaller combs/wattles, and a less gangly appearance.

And finally we have Laurence, the rooster formerly known as Laura, the Barred Rock with the well developed crow... He is so beautiful and has always been the largest. I wish I could keep him but since I'm not supposed to even have chickens, he will have to go...

It's a lot harder to take pictures of chickens than I thought....

Any ideas? Thanks!
I'm sorry that you are going to have to get rid of them.
hugs.gif
They're all beautiful birds!

Back
Top Bottom