How many roos?

This is my plan too 3 coops girls coop,boys coop and the errrm honey moon suite ;-)
I think its the best option just will take a little more work with a free range schedule,nice to know it will work out :)

It all depends on the personality of the rooster ... I have two bantam cockerels together with three hens, and bar the odd angry face, we have never had a problem. However they have grown up together since they were very young and are both quite laid back and also have free range over an acre of land (although they do tend to stick together.) As for damage to the hens, we have never had problems with this either, mainly because both the roos only main aims in life is to eat and laze about!

Sorry if this is a very stupid question, but exactly what do you guys mean by "damage to the hen"? Is this something I should be careful about?

Yep, if you're going to do a "honeymoon suite" that'll be fine. Lots of breeders put 3 or 4 hens and a rooster together. Its CONSTANT breeding that causes bare backs and all of that other unpleasant stuff. If they aren't going to permanently live together, the saddles will be unnecessary. Good luck :)

Can They all roost together at night and then just be in a separate run during the day? Will that help with overmating? I have 1 barredrock cockerel, 3 pullets, and 4 unknown gneder silkies. So far the rock just tries to mate the male mallard. Will free ranging help. Or should I get another hen.

Back
Top Bottom