How many roos?

GimmeCake

Songster
6 Years
May 8, 2013
I got 6 pullets, and I plan on getting 2-4 RIDs to add to my flock. In addition I wanted to add a roo, now for protection, making sure there is at least 1 roo (not all of them are guaranteed to be roos), and because I just want to add extra cool looking birds to my flock I wanted to get 2 roosters. There is one problem. If I get 2, will there be some sort of problem? I don't want a roo to kill another roo.

Roosters will fight now matter what, but I've had many roosters and they've never gotten to the point of killing, just lots of chasing and stand offs. So you're problem would more likely be ending up with your hens getting over used, and ending up with naked backs/necks and could get hurt. For this reason I suggest you just get one rooster, as you only have 6 pullets. A lot of people recommend 10 hens for every 1 rooster, so getting two rooster for only 6 pullets could end up very badly for the hens.

A general rule of thumb is 10 hens to 1 rooster, the reason is you want to make sure you have enough hens to satisfy your roosters manly...desires.

Lets say you have a very active rooster with five hens (like I did at one time), it's pretty likely you'll have a few with bare backs and all hens in bad condition. For breeding purposes, I know people have "trios" (1 roo, 2 hens) and "pairs" (1 roo, 1 hen) which is fine, you just want to make sure the rooster is not too hard on the hen(s). If he is hard on the hens, just leaving him with his girls for a week or two to ensure fertilized eggs might be an option for you.

However as with most things, there are exceptions. Some roosters (few and far in between, in my experience), are very gentle on the hens and keep mounting to a minimum. For two of these "gentle" roosters I would suggest anywhere between 12-15 hens to keep them both happy.

For two "average" roosters I consider the 10 hens to 1 cock rule ideal. So 20 hens to 2 cocks. You might be able to get away with 12-16 hens to 2 cocks. Just a preference. They are your chickens and you have a right to do whatever you want with them.

And yes, if you get a rooster then later add another rooster, there will be a cock fight. I once had an EE roo and a bantam Blue cochin roo (very sweet) that got along together famously b/c they were raised together. One would take 1/2 of the hens and watch while the other took the other 1/2 and watched them - super adorable!

So raising two cocks together would be a great option and result in a happier flock IMO, then adding another roo would when he's in full bloom.

Good luck! :)

If I got 2 cockerels, I'd grow them up together with 2-4 RID chicks and then add them to my existing 6 hen flock later on. Is that ok?

If you do the math that is 10 hens for 2 roosters, at most. 5 hens to 1 roo ratio. IMO thats not enough hens, but it is ultimately your decision. If you want to deal with some bare backs and split feathers, go ahead.
If I got 2 cockerels, I'd grow them up together with 2-4 RID chicks and then add them to my existing 6 hen flock later on. Is that ok?

Haha! I didn't know what a bantam rooster was until I saw an image! Their so funny looking! Anyway, what about 1 barred rock cockerel and 1 bantam cockerel?

Two bantams might be a better bet. Really it depends on how much you care for your hen's conditions. We've had bad experiences with hens getting worn down too much and had to separate a hen until she would start eating again because she was so afraid of the roosters mounting her. If you really must have two roosters, I suggest two bantams, or get more girls, otherwise it's almost certain you'll have some less than happy hens. Hens can be very happy with roosters as long as there are enough hens for each roo.

Get your 2 roosters, build them their own little bachelor pen and keep them both. When you're ready to breed, pick which ever one you want chicks from and pop him in the pen with your girls and leave him for a few days for fertile eggs. When is job is complete, put him back in the bachelor pen. Your girls will keep their feathers and sanity and you'll get your rooster for breeding.

If your plan is to run everyone together all the time, you'll need many more hens, or less roosters.

Anyway, I just wanted to give an alternative other than "you don't have enough hens". I rotate my roosters bc I don't want to keep a super large flock (I have 4 hens and 2 roosters at present, and a bunch of up and coming pullets). I've also run into problems like being stuck without a breeding rooster bc I only kept one and something happened to him. So, the boys and girls live in separate dorms at my house and it works great ;)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom