how many roosters are enough?

thewobsers

Songster
11 Years
Feb 20, 2008
near toledo ohio
we are getting ready to order chicks and want mostly laying hens and broody hens. We are starting out new at this and are thinking of getting 4 or 5 different breeds maybe 3 pullets from each. We know we need a rooster to fertilize eggs but would 3 roosters be too many (all different breeds)?
We would have about 12 hens and 3 roosters all would be docile natured breeds. We lack the experience you all have out there, so give us your input please.

thanks
the wobsers

There are never enough roosters. The more cock-a-doodle-doing I hear the better
gig.gif

I have 17 laying hens and only 1 roo out with them. When I had the 2 roos out with the 17 girls, they were showing some serious signs of overbreeding, i.e.: bald spots, missing feathers, the favorite had a bald spot on her back...

So, 1 roo for us. He's a happy guy, now.
wink.png

Em

If the roosters grow up with each other, they might have a little fighting while they are establishing their pecking order, but after that they should be fine. But there are roosters that will fight to the death, especially in certain breeds like Old English Games. But with other breeds such as Buff Orpingtons or Cochins, the roosters are very calm natured, so there would probably be very little aggression among them. There are exception to every rule, however. If you want to try 3 roosters, then go ahead and order them. If they start getting too aggressive with each other, then you can seperate the most aggressive one, or sale him, or eat him... good luck with them.
P.S. Also keep an eye on the hens. If there are too many roosters, the hens can develop raw spots on there backs if they are being overly "picked on" by the roosters.

Yes, I should mention ... my buff orpington roo and easter egger roo were raised together and never fought each other. It was "understood" that my big BO roo was top bird.

My 2 silver-laced wyandotte roos are, and always have been aggressive. They are awaiting processing.

Em

one rooster or less should be more than enough
smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom