How many Roosters is Too many Roosters?

muscovy94

Crowing
14 Years
Nov 11, 2008
Vicksburg, MS
Hello everybody. I currently have 4 silkies and 4 OEGB. Of the silkies I have 1 rooster and 3 hens. of the OEGB I have 3 roosters and 1 hen. that makes 4 roosters and 4 hens in all. I have some of their eggs in the incubator and would like to keep all of them. I just have a question. I love all hens and all roosters. How many roosters is too many roosters. I just don't want any fights. some of my roosters will pick on one another occasionally, but Its not very often.

If you ask my white rooster....he will tell you ONE rooster in the hen house.
We have 16 hens currently. When I got the buff orpingtons, I got 12 girls and 4 boys.
The roosters were banging heads often. Two ended up in the freezer.
Number 3 went to my son's house recently. Number 4 is either going to have to
go in a cage or get sold. My head rooster says so..........
The buff roosters tore feathers off the back of the hens. Now they are growing back
thank goodness. The white one is a gentleman , so he gets to stay.
Too many roosters cause problems, and stress in the hen house.

I have heard one rooster to ten(or less) hens? (I think for decent fertility)
But if yours are all doing fairly well with each other, I wouldnt worry about it.

We had 6. 4 went free range...three were consumed quickly by fox that live on the farm. last one left went back in the hen house with the other 2 roosters and 11 hens, and they beat him up fiercely. he has neurological damage and is nearly completely blind. because i'm an old softie, i had feed and water him a few times each day.

Now I know, and will not keep more than 1 or 2 roosters, and they only get to stay if they don't attack me, each other, or the hens. Things are quiet now, but some heads may roll come spring.

Pop, I love your posts. They are always so short, simple, and informative! I get excited anytime I see you post.
smile.png

I started out with a flock of 16 birds - 11 hens and 5 roos. My roos were getting after each other quite a bit, and I believe they were causing stress to my hens. I ended up going down to one guy (the nicest bird that seemed to be the best with hens). After I removed the extra roos, my flock seemed happier and less hectic. My remaining roo is a true gentleman, and he takes good care of my hens (with the occasional problem off him giving the girls a little to much action...) I think it's all about what your flock will tolerate. I have 10 wyandottes right now that are not sexed, and I am hoping that the roos will do fine.

Some people pen roos separately with daily "hen" time...

If all your birds seem happy, I don't see any reason why you'd need to remove them.

My OEGB roo is the meanest thing ever. He's like a whirling razor sharp chinese throwing star. I can't imagine what will happen with three when the little hen starts laying.....

Last year we started off with 6 roo's to 11hens. we cooked 4 of my RIR leaving my one RIR and one white legged. Well about 2 months ago I got tired of the white legged ( corn flake) so we offed him leaving us with one RIR. he only has one wing and is great with the ladies. I can now go into my back yard without a broom in my hand, walking backwards just to be safe.

Can't answer the question. Didn't want ANY roos, but got an accidental one in my pullet chicks. I like him too much to return him to feed store, rehome, or cull him. So, I have one rooster to 8 hens right now, and hopefully the four chicks in the brooder will STAY pullets and my roo will have 12 ladies all his own.

Back
Top Bottom