How many square feet is enough for my run?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by can you hear me now?, Nov 26, 2008.

1. I have plans to expand my 14 by 7 foot run to accomodate 40 hens. I am curious abot how much space i realy need. I have intentions to advance this to about 4 to 5 times this size but i still don't know what is an acceptable size for them. I know they souldn't be cramped but it is still a viable concern to me as of right now because i am needing to house 4 different roosters soon and they will have thier own area.

2. psrumors

psrumors In the Brooder

Oct 11, 2008
    for 40 hens you need at least 400 sqft. 20X20. That would be minimum. 10 sqft per bird.

For your 14x7 you would need it 4 times the current size.

3. FarmerSadie

FarmerSadie Hatching

Nov 26, 2008
    Amity, Oregon
    Hiya! I'm in the process of building a larger run for my girls (36 at last count, but planning to add ~10 next spring) and it is going to be about 100x25. Its a little indulgent [​IMG] but they are used to being completely free-range so I thought it would only be fair to build it big.

4. i agree and I certainly wouldn't want them to start picking at each other. This way they have more room to relax when they are outside. I want happy chickens. Thank you for the advise i thought that would be good but I wanted to make sure I wasn't being too indulgent.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by