how many turkeys??

chixrus

Songster
11 Years
Oct 24, 2008
ok. i want to get turkeys to have for thanksgiving. i have a few questions.
1 how many turkeys to start? i kinda wanted to sell a few, but is that to difficult?
2 what breed? i would like to have heritage breeds, and not the broad-breasted whites or anything
3 how much room do they nee?
4 can they be kept with chickens?

oh yeah, if i want to get them, how much per pound if i wanted to sell them and when would i have to get them so that they would be ready for thanksgiving?

I have a turkey in with my flock of chickens.You can keep them together but your turkeys can be at risk of getting black head from being housed with chickens.Oh, and sometimes ,not always, a turkey kept with chickens will try to eat all the feed and not let the chickens have any.

okay, thanks! I'd like some more info about breeds and prices, though, but thanks anyway!

I free range my turkeys and chickens together and dont have any problems, I have had alot of breeds of turkeys, but i think my favorites are royal palm because they are gorgeous, but I do like keeping a few bronze or wild turkeys just to watch them strut. Like Pinky said turkeys deffinately eat....alot, so get ready for the feed bill. How many, well thats up to you, turkeys arent as good layer as chickens so dont expect to get as many eggs.

Q - how many turkeys to start?

A - Well you have to order at least 15 so I would start there.

Q - what breed?

A - Well bourbon reds and standard bronze do get the biggest and forage free range real good.

Q - how much room do they need ?

A- Well about a 100 turkeys to an acre is good and won't damage the land. In pens they need about 8-10sq ft each bird, a roof and perches off the ground, with a run with about 20 sq ft per bird THESE ARE MINIMUMS.

Q - how much per pound if i wanted to sell them and when would i have to get them so that they would be ready for thanksgiving?

A- You can get up to 5.00 a lb but average is 3.50 lb. It takes about 70-80 lbs of feed for each bird to reach market weight.
You'll need to buy them as early as possible to make the thanksgiving market as they take a minimum of 28 weeks. I try to get 8 months of growth for the market.As anyone knows a lot can go wrong and fast,as these birds can fly. It cost a lot of money and time with very little return on the money but saving a species and the eating is well worth it.

Additional comment. Consider splitting an order from a hatchery - like Porter's turkeys and then you can only get a few and everyone is happy.

Porter's has a couple dozen types/colors of turkeys and lots of pictures. The TN folks are trying to get together a group to split a spring order.

I have three bourbon reds. One Tom and two hens. Next year, they'll make eggs and poults with any luck. I only have nine acres and these free range here. They free range with the chickens but have their own night pen.

I'm adding a few more to introduce another bloodline and to raise them myself. These I got as adults and they're not as sweet as those you raise yourself.

At farmer's markets and depending on the "clientele" you can get more for pasture/range fed turkey. You have to do some research to find out who is selling what in your area.

I like having them, they make neat noises, are gentle and vigilent and peaceful creatures.

Back
Top Bottom