How many wine makers do we have here?

I have 4 different muscadine wine batches going ((2) 5 gallon buckets and (2) 1 gallon batches. The (2) 1 gallons are experiments from different recipes. Someone gave me a a bunch of pears but I'm not too excited about making pear wine. Anyone every made pear wine before? How did it turn out? Those pears are HARD!!!

Pear wine is my Fave! Actually, most of it is combination with a small amount of cranberries to make a blush wine and add some tannin and acid. It's not sweet, but I've made a sweet one for dessert. It's a delicate wine but has nice fruit and it's great either on it's own, or guess what, TURKEY! Think Thanksgiving
:drool

But, you need RIPE fruit, the hard ones make horrible wine. I just racked this batch, I'll post pics later.

Well thank you for the tips about the pear wine. I wondered about he final taste AND the color. However, now that you have said that it isn't sweet, then that is a deal breaker for me because I love sweet wine. :hit

Would love to see your pics of the wine? :pop

I want to get started, but someone said its still to warm . Needs to be 65-78 to start . Is this True?
idunno.gif

Well thank you for the tips about the pear wine. I wondered about he final taste AND the color. However, now that you have said that it isn't sweet, then that is a deal breaker for me because I love sweet wine.
hit.gif

Would love to see your pics of the wine?
pop.gif
You can make it sweet by upping the sugar, I just prefer it drier. If you can ripen the pears, then make a sweet wine, the flavour is gorgeous and it's a shame to waste fruit that can be fermented!

Quote: Depends - if you want a wine with a lot of fruit on the nose, a slightly higher temp will do that. If you are making it in an outside location where it's really warm, then it might not be as good. Remember that wine produces heat itself when it ferments, so the outside temp isn't bad until over 80-85.

I don't understand your comment? This is my first ever batch of wine, but I haven't read anywhere about an outside temperature requirement. Aren't you making the wine in the house?
Yup, temps can affect it but it's not mentioned often since most home-winemakers do it in the house and they don't keep the house much over 75, so no problem!

The wine "I" prefer are fermented slightly cooler, sometimes in the garage in winter to give a really clean, dry wine. Or, for a wine I'm going to re-ferment to a sparkling one.

Yes, I make my wine inside and the temps are cool. I guess I will have to add sugar but as far as the pear juice, I will have to juice them in my juicer. I can't see getting too much juice from those hard suckers. :/

My house sits in full sun if it over 95-100 deg outside. My house durning the heat of the day can be 83 deg with my ac on full blast, and at night it can be 74-76
deg.in the summer .
I'm planning fresh fig with strawberry, or with orange or fig by itself. And Blueberry . Got wild persimmon growing in my yard too.
Sometime i have someone to give me scuppernong,mustadine, apples, hard pears tooI I find them on my porch time to time want good sweet fruity wine.
Any help will be helpful. 1st try with this.
Thanks and great cheers to everyone.

Last edited:
Yes, I make my wine inside and the temps are cool. I guess I will have to add sugar but as far as the pear juice, I will have to juice them in my juicer. I can't see getting too much juice from those hard suckers.
hmm.png

You know, if you freeze them overnight, then thaw them, the freezing breaks open the cells and juicing is much easier. You get more juice too. I don't know how many you have so maybe you don't have the freezer space.

I freeze most of my fruit to get out as much juice as I can. It works really well, since I don't have a juicer!

Last edited:
Yes, I make my wine inside and the temps are cool. I guess I will have to add sugar but as far as the pear juice, I will have to juice them in my juicer. I can't see getting too much juice from those hard suckers. :/

You know, if you freeze them overnight, then thaw them, the freezing breaks open the cells and juicing is much easier. You get more juice too. I don't know how many you have so maybe you don't have the freezer space. 

I freeze most of my fruit to get out as much juice as I can. It works really well, since I don't have a juicer!

Yes, I do freeze my fruit. As you said, I don't think I have enough freezer space. I am overloaded with frozen fruit as it is already. :gig But I will have to try to make room for these pears. I would hate to lose them. I don't like to waste stuff.

Yes, I do freeze my fruit. As you said, I don't think I have enough freezer space. I am overloaded with frozen fruit as it is already.
gig.gif
But I will have to try to make room for these pears. I would hate to lose them. I don't like to waste stuff.
I don't want to waste stuff either 3 chest ,1 upright frezeers 2 refrgeratior with frezeers . The other upright one was very old made incubator out of it. Its works well.

Back
Top Bottom